The Magic will take on the Indiana Pacers tonight at 7:00 PM EST at Amway Arena. The game will not be televised but you can listen to it locally on WDBO AM 580 and you can tune to WONQ AM 1030 for the Spanish version. I’ll be at Amway tonight blogging and tweeting so follow me on twitter (@howardthedunk).
Tonight’s starters per Josh Robbins:
Interesting to see Barnes at the 4, but according to Robbins, we shouldn’t read into this because Head Coach Stan Van Gundy just wants to get a look at him there.
Here’s what Van Gundy had to say about starting Barnes at the 4 tonight: “I don’t think that will be a starting lineup [during the regular season] for us. But based on the foul trouble that Ryan and Brandon have had, I think we’ll have to go to it a lot. And to make sure I can get a look at it, I’m going to start the game with it. Sometimes you plan on getting a look at lineups down the road in a game, and you get foul trouble or something else, and you never get to it. So, I’m going to start him there tonight so that I make sure I get a look at him playing the 4 in that lineup.”
I know that it’s unlikely that Barnes will see a whole lot of time at Power Forward this season, but it’s a good move by the Magic. They made need him to play there at times in case of an injury or foul problems while Rashard Lewis is suspended. It will be very interesting to see how he will perform there.
End of First Quarter: Magic lead 23-16
- Dwight Howard, Brandon Bass, and Vince Carter each have 4 points to lead the Magic.
Halftime: Magic lead 45-39
- Vince Carter and Marcin Gortat lead the Magic with 10 points each.
End of Third Quarter: Magic lead 82-65.
- Vince Carter had 7 points in the quarter and now has 17 for the game.
- Jameer Nelson had a huge quarter. After going 0-of-7 and scoring 0 points in the first half, he had 11 points on 4-of-5 shooting in the quarter. He has 11 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists for the game.
- Brandon Bass has 13 points and 9 rebounds in just over 15 minutes of action.
Final: Magic win 117-87
Still to come: My complete thoughts and analysis.