Here are a few quick notes from Magic head Coach Stan Van Gundy’s pregame media availability:
- When asked about the status of J.J. Redick, Van Gundy said his minutes will be determined by “how well he plays” and “how he feels when he’s out there.” Van Gundy went on to say they haven’t been able to test Redick’s conditioning, which is why even if Redick is healthy, he may not be able to play much.
- Van Gundy is concerned about the bench because they haven’t been able to develop any kind of rotation because of all of the injuries and suspensions.
- “J.J., Gil, Chris, Q, they’ve all of to be ready and we’re going to need some good solid play out of them because they’re bringing some good players off the bench in Marvin Williams and Jamal Crawford.”
- My partner, Brian Serra, surprised Van Gundy when he asked if Arenas was at full strength. Van Gundy called it a “loaded question” but went on to say he’s “feeling as good as he has in a long time, he’s ready to go.”
- Van Gundy discussed the Hawks all-around length, citing Joe Johnson’s size advantage at the Two and Josh Smith’s size at the three.
- Van Gundy said the two keys for Howard in the series are that 1) “His energy level remains very high.” And 2) “He keeps his composure and does not become frustrated.”
- Van Gundy went on to say Howard doesn’t need to score a lot of points to control a game – “He can dominate on the glass, he can dominate running the floor, he can dominate defensively, he can help his teammates by setting great picks and rolling to the basket, drawing attention. He can be the dominate guy in this series regardless of what goes on the offensive end or how they play him if his energy’s high and he keeps his composure and stays in the game.”
Brian Serra has video here.
(Andrew Melnick is Howard the Dunk’s lead blogger and ESPN 1080′s Magic Insider (http://espn1080.com). Subscribe to his RSS feed, add him on Facebook and follow him on Twitter to follow him daily. You can download the HTD app here).
Tags: Al Horford Atlanta Hawks Brandon Bass Chris Duhon Dwight Howard Earl Clark Gilbert Arenas Hedo Turkoglu J.j. Redick Jameer Nelson Jason Richardson Joe Johnson Josh Smith Kirk Hinrich Larry Drew Marvin Williams Orlando Magic Quentin Richardson Ryan Anderson Stan Van Gundy