The Orlando Magic introduced Jacque Vaughn as their new head coach on Monday afternoon.
- Alex Martins, Dan DeVos and Rob Hennigan all talked about the process of hiring Vaughn before Vaughn spoke.
- DeVos mentioned Vaughn met with 14 members of the DeVos family in Michigan and said they didn’t interview Vaughn, but rather “had a conversation.”
- Hennigan (and later Vaughn) praised three of Vaughn’s former head coaches – current North Carolina and former Kansas coach Roy Williams, former Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan and current San Antonio Spurs coach Greg Popovich.
- Vaughn clearly has a great respect for Popovich and admittedly looks up to him.
- Vaughn said he sold his children on moving to Orlando by using the words “Disney” and “Magic.”
- Vaughn was very well spoken and sounded extremely intelligent. Hennigan told reporters Vaughn is “a lot smarter than me” and said his father told him to always hire people smarter than him. Vaughn quoted Maya Angelou when asked about the impression he wants to leave on people and told one member of the media “Blessed are the flexible, as they will not be bent out of shape.”
- Vaughn didn’t specifically address anyone on his potential staff, simply saying he was “going to hire good people.”
- Vaughn and the Magic front office appeared ready for the Dwight Howard barrage.
- When asked about speaking with Howard, Vaughn said he hadn’t talked to any Magic players, but was “looking forward” to speaking with all of them, including Howard.
- Martins would only answer Howard-related questions by saying “We’re going to do what is the best interest of the organization.”
- Hennigan and even DeVos continued to talk about the “process.” Hennigan admitted to a meeting with Howard, but wouldn’t share the details of the meeting.
- Vaughn was great at staving off Howard questions. Someone, presumably Popovich, taught him how to answer questions without actually answering them. Vaughn said he was a hard working an unselfish player and person and was looking for players with a similar attitude.
- Glen Davis attended the press conference and presumably went to meet with Vaughn afterwards.
(Andrew Melnick is Howard the Dunk’s lead blogger, ESPN Florida’s Magic Insider (http://ESPNFlorida.com) and is the co-host of the ESPNFlorida.com Insiders Show Sunday mornings at 10:00 am EST. Subscribe to his RSS feed, add him on Facebook and follow him onTwitter to follow him daily. You can download the HTD app here)