Feb 2, 2013; Milwaukee, WI, USA; The Orlando Magic logo on a players shorts during the game against the Milwaukee Bucks at the BMO Harris Bradley Center. The Bucks won 107-98. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports

Orlando Magic's lottery history and good luck charm

With a lot riding on tonight’s NBA Draft Lottery, the Orlando Magic have sent in their “good luck” charm. Pat Williams, the team’s co-founder, current vice president and inaugural member of the franchise’s Hall of Fame, will represent the team at the lottery. If the past has any bearing on this, the Magic have sent the right person. Williams has “won” the number one overall pick three times for the Magic — 1992, 1993, and 2004 — and brought home the second selection is last years draft. Williams also secured the number one pick for the Philadelphia 76ers 1986 when he was the general manager.

The Magic, who finished the season with the third worst record in the league, have roughly a 47 percent chance of getting a top three selection in next months draft. Comparatively, they have a 53 percent chance of picking anywhere from fourth-to-sixth, with a 96 percent chance that the pick falls in the top five. 

Orlando will also receive a second lottery pick via either the Denver Nuggets or New York Knicks. Denver, who acquired the Knicks pick in the Carmelo Anthony trade, flipped that pick to the Magic in the Dwight Howard blockbuster. However, this pick had one caveat: Orlando would receive the less favorable of the two selections. 

Despite having two lottery picks, it’s almost impossible for the Magic to get two of the top three selections in this years draft. Based on math done by University of Florida statistics professor Larry Winner for Josh Robbins and the Orlando Sentinel, the Magic have a 1-in-13,167 chance of netting two of the top three picks. That number equates to a cool .0076 percent chance. 

Year    

Player                     

Pick Number 

1989

Nick Anderson

11

1990

Dennis Scott

4

1991

Brian Williams

10

1992

Shaquille O’Neal

1

1993

Chris Webber

1

1998

Michael Doleac 

12

1998

Keon Clark

13

2000

Mike Miller

5

2000

Keyon Dooling

10

2000

Courtney Alexander

13

2004

Dwight Howard

1

2005

Fran Vazquez*

11

2006

JJ Redick

11

2013

Victor Oladipo

2

*Has yet to play a game with the franchise.

Needless to say, the Magic have had some up and down luck in the lottery throughout the years. Two of their lottery picks, O’Neal and Miller, have gone on to win Rookie of the Year honors, while Hardaway, Howard and Oladipo all finished second for the award. 

No matter where the Magic pick, this draft will have a profound impact on the team moving forward. Many view this draft as the best in some 11 years, with many tantalizing prospects littered throughout. Now all the Magic need is a little bit of luck from their lucky charm to get that coveted number one selection. 

 

Next Magic Game Full schedule »
Thursday, Oct 3030 Oct7:00Washington WizardsBuy Tickets

Tags: Nba Draft Lottery Orlando Magic Pat Williams Victor Oladipo

comments powered by Disqus