At least 84 people have been killed when a lorry drove in to a crowd, in an incident which has been identified as "undeniably" a terrorist attack.
Clement Sordet of France has "Pray for Nice" written on his cap as he walks along the first hole during the second round of the British Open golf tournament at Royal Troon, Scotland, Britain July 15, 2016.
Speaking after he carded a second successive four-over-par round of 75, to rule out any hopes of making the cut, he said he woke at 4am to a number of text messages from people checking he was safe, unaware that he is now in Scotland.
Phil Mickelson was within inches of a hole-in-one on Royal Troon's famous "Postage Stamp" as he continued to dominate the Open Championship on Friday.
"I live in Nice".
"My thoughts are with the families and the victims", Sordet said.
"It happened maybe 500 meters from where I live", Sordet said.
"My girlfriend is from Nice, and she has family there". He moved to Nice, where his girlfriend is from. I tried not to think about it [during the round].
After a second 75 left him well down the Open field, and out of contention to make the cut, Sordet said: "I am really proud to be French and I think we need to support each other". The attack in Nice has rocked a nation still dealing with the aftermath of two attacks in Paris a year ago that killed a total of 147 people.
"I feel really bad for everyone else".
Several other players wore black ribbons on their hats in support of France.
The only other French golfer in this week's Open field is Victor Dubuisson, who was due to start his round at 1.48pm (1248 GMT).
"It was a nice touch too for the French flag to be flying at half-mast on 18".
The R&A, which organizes the British Open, has made black ribbons available for players and caddies to wear as a mark of respect to those who died in the attack in Nice.
- How To Find and Catch Pokemon in Pokemon Go
- Obama to take questions on Dallas attack, race relations
- New England Patriots fans react to Tom Brady giving up on Deflategate
- Pokemon Go aiming for rollout to 200 markets soon
- Corrie's Jack P Shepherd reveals he cried real tears over Kylie's exit
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Behind The Scenes Featurette Released
- Ailes seeks to move Carlson case to arbitration
- Simone Biles wins spot on US Women's Gymnastics team
- China's quarterly economic growth steady at 6.7 percent
- Consumer Reports says Tesla should drop Autopilot name