North Korea is making progress on a submarine-launched ballistic missile system but any deployment of the technology is years away, a USA think tank said, as the UN Security Council promised action over Pyongyang's latest test.
North Korea is threatening to shoot the bright lights aimed at their guard posts in the Demilitarized Zone, accusing the USA and South Korea of "deliberate provocations".
The North Korean People's Army said the lights threatened the safety of their soldiers and disrupted their patrols, according to the Associated Press.
North Korea further threatened to smash the United States with "nuclear hammers of justice" in the wake of the successful missile test which was immediately condemned by all members of the UN Security Council including Pyongyang's long-time benefactor China.
The US has additionally moved to deploy the full fleet of its nuclear bomber triad - the B-1, B-2, and B-52 - to Guam - in addition to deploying the THAAD anti-missile system to South Korea providing Pyongyang with a limited window to strike against South Korea or the United States or find its nuclear arsenal forever deemed incapable of mounting a successful offensive against the West's defensive measures.
Earlier this month, the 15-member council had been unable to agree on a US-drafted statement to condemn North Korea's August 3 launch of a ballistic missile that landed in or near Japanese-controlled waters.
Under the Korean War armistice, the two sides are barred from carrying out any hostile acts within or across the 2.5-mile-wide DMZ.
The council expressed "serious concern" that North Korea carried out the launches after six ballistic missile firings between April and June "in flagrant disregard" of its repeated statements to halt such launches as well as nuclear tests which violate council resolutions.
More than a million mines are also believed to be buried inside the DMZ. In August 2015, land mine blasts that Seoul blamed on Pyongyang maimed two South Korean soldiers and caused tensions between the two Koreas to flare.
In Pyongyang, North Korean Foreign Ministry official JonMin Dok told Associated Press Television News in an interviewthat the US-led discussions at the United Nations were a "terribleprovocation" and that the country is developing nuclearweapons because of "outrageous nuclear intimidation" by theUnited States.
"The best way for the USA to escape a deadly strike from us is by refraining from insulting our dignity and threatening our security, by exercising prudence and self-control", Jon said.
- Ariana Just Added Two Tiny Tattoos To Her Vast Collection
- Junket tourism
- Louis Walsh: 'One Direction have split for good'
- Swimmer Ryan Lochte to attend Comic Con in Richmond
- Nawaz names 22 MPs to build Kashmir case
- Kerry in Saudi Arabia for talks on Yemen, Syria conflicts
- Stocks waver between gains and losses in afternoon trading
- Gayle out as India win toss and field against Windies
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Fire near Utah ski resort crosses Idaho border