Strongly condemning the arrest of Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, chairman Hurriyat (G) Syed Ali Geelani said that "these childish moves indicate the frustration and mental bankruptcy of the Indian as well as local administration but they can deter us by these acts".
Kashmir's chief Muslim cleric Mirwaiz Umar Faro-oq was on Thursday eveni-ng arrested by the police from his residence. "If we don't impose a curfew what do we do?"
Terming the unrest in the Kashmir Valley a "political problem" which requires a "political solution", the Mirwaiz told CNN News18 that all stakeholders, including Pakistan, should be included in any proposed talks over the Kashmir issue.
He was taken to Humhama police station, Kashmir Life reported.
Police shot one protester dead Friday, while the body of another was found in a river a day after he was chased by police during an anti-India demonstration.
Constable Khursheed Ahmad Ganai was reportedly shot dead near his home when he was going to fetch milk.
A strict curfew and a tightening crackdown by authorities have failed to stop some of Kashmir's largest protests against Indian rule in recent years, triggered by the killing of a popular rebel commander on July 8.
Thousands of angry demonstrators have defied a sweeping curfew to clash with government forces nearly every day.
Most Kashmiris want an end to Indian rule and favor independence or a merger with Pakistan. Both claim the territory in full.
Human rights groups say 70,000 people, mostly civilians, have died in the fighting and thousands disappeared after they were taken away by security forces since 1989 when an armed rebellion against Indian rule began.
- Nawaz names 22 MPs to build Kashmir case
- Here's what the weather is looking like this bank holiday weekend
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Fire near Utah ski resort crosses Idaho border
- Android 7.0 Nougat: What Devices Are Getting It Now and What's Next?
- Canada commits more money and troops to peacekeeping
- Union chief challenges Labour over "politically motivated" suspensions
- Kluber extends win streak to 6, Indians top Rangers 12-1
- Chip Kelly: Colin Kaepernick 'on track' to play versus Packers
- Junket tourism