In addition to reaching the halfway mark for the Galaxy Note 7 recall in the United States, Samsung added that 90 percent of the customers who had their devices exchanged made a decision to get the replacement Galaxy Note 7, instead of switching to another phone or seeking a cash refund.
In a statement, Samsung said, "We are aware of an incident involving one of our devices".
Friday's incident on a Singapore-Chennai flight operated by the no-frills airline is bad news for Samsung, which is hit by the worldwide recall of its newest model, Galaxy Note 7, following reports of the phone catching fire. The Indian Directorate General of Civil Aviation stated that passengers on the flight smelled smoke from the overhead baggage bin and the cabin crew was alerted.
Sources at DGCA added that officials have called representatives from Samsung to discuss the issue on September 26. The incident took place when the flight was landing at the Chennai airport, creating a panic among all 75 passengers. Samsung sold the Galaxy Note7 in the UK, Germany and France in Europe, prior to the recall. This equipment (Samsung mobile) will be further examined by the concerned departments. It has since worked on the fixes and started selling the rectified device in some markets (Samsung halts production of Galaxy Note 7 to conduct quality checks). "We are in touch with relevant authorities to gather more information, and are looking into the matter", a spokesperson said. "IndiGo has voluntarily informed the DGCA".
On September 9, the DGCA had prohibited the use of another smartphone from Samsung, the Galaxy Note 7, on board aircraft due to global safety-related incidents involving the high-end communication device. These phones will have to be switched off if it is being carried on person or as part of the hand-baggage.
While completely separate from the Galaxy Note 7 recall that is now underway, the latest report will certainly not be doing Samsung any favors.
- Time Warner CEO Says DC Films Have Some Room for Improvement
- Hillary Clinton postpones trip to Charlotte
- Yale's endowment outperforms Harvard's; Harvard still richer
- Backstreet Boys announce Las Vegas Planet Hollywood residency for March 2017
- Group says 3 killed despite cease-fire in Syria
- Pizza Hut debuts grilled cheese stuffed crust pies
- More Iowa cities mobilizing for flooding along Cedar River
- Eagles' defense doesn't fear tough test vs Brown, Steelers
- APS: Algerian energy minister sees consensus on need to steady oil price
- Giants top Dodgers 2-0 despite injuries to Cueto, Crawford