That's when its new television contract with ABC/ESPN and Fox begins.
Not all schools in the conference will participate, while others have contingencies.
Get ready to get your college football fix on Friday nights, beginning next year. Division I games had been played on Saturday's since 1991. The Friday night schedule is expected to be announced this week.
Mark Rudner, the Big Ten's senior associate commissioner for television administration, said Wednesday night the idea of any financial compensation from the league "is something we haven't talked about, or even thought of that".
"Obviously we enter this knowing that we care about what's happening in the high schools", Rudner said.
Friday night college games are not new. It did happen in 2003 at Minnesota, due to a building conflict.
"We recognized that the Pac-12, the ACC and the Ivy League have really gotten into Friday night over the last three years. they've had 10 or more games on Friday night over the past 10 years".
The Friday night games are slated to include three conference games and three non-conference games. According to The Chicago Tribune, Michigan has already refused to play Friday games at home or on the road.
A couple hours after Penn State's statement, James Franklin spoke with the media after the Nittany Lions' practice, reiterating that they will not host any Friday night games at Beaver Stadium and discussing the program's position on the matter.
"While the decision to play Big Ten Conference football on Friday nights may be in the best interest of the Big Ten Conference and its member schools, we do not believe it is in the best interests of high school football across the state of Iowa", Beste continued.
"We are saddened by this decision".
But this shouldn't come as much of a surprise as selling out has become the rule, rather than the exception, as Delany's tenure as commissioner has rolled on. "Fans won't like this".
If you're a school with a huge stadium (like Penn State, Ohio State, or Michigan), you might rather not bring a small city onto your campus in the middle of a school day. Taking a stand against your own state's high school coaches is a disgusting recruiting strategy.
IL spokesman Kent Brown said coach Lovie Smith and the football office emailed high school football coaches in the state explaining the situation.
- USA elections: New poll shows tight race ahead of November 8
- Leicester City on the verge of making history in the Champions League
- Vincent Stanford Plans To Appeal Life Sentence For Stephanie Scott's Murder
- How Customisable Is The 2016 MacBook Pro Range?
- State calls slew of witnesses in first day of Slager trial
- The PS4 Pro is the Embodiment of the Current-gen Console War
- Baylor Sexual Assault Investigation Reveals Widespread Misconduct
- 300 million children breathe heavily toxic air
- Pakistan withdraws 6 diplomats from New Delhi amid tension
- West Indies beat Pakistan to end winless streak