Eight or nine members of a work crew were working on the Colonial gas pipeline when it exploded, and all members of the work crew were injured, according to Shelby County Sheriff's Office Maj. The Alabama Emergency Management Agency said a temporary flight restriction is in effect for the area around the explosion.
AL.com reported that 10 acres are on fire and that patients are being brought to UAB Hospital in Birmingham.
Part of the Colonial Pipeline crosses beneath Anderson County.
The Shelby County Sheriff's Office said in a statement Monday night that the blaze had been contained but it was unclear how long the fire may take to burn out.
Georgia-based Colonial Pipeline said in a brief statement Monday evening that it has shut down its main pipeline.
This post was syndicated from pulse.ng - Nigeria's entertainment & lifestyle platform online.
"Colonial personnel and emergency crews are responding", as stated in a news release.
Officials said two workers might be missing, but the intense fire prevented crews from getting close to the area.
Helena Mayor Mark Hall says the site is about a mile from residential areas.
Colonial Pipeline confirms to Channel 2 Action News they have shutdown the pipeline because of the explosion.
Neighbor Newspapers will continue to update this story as information becomes available.
The explosion occurred near Highway 13 and River Road, the Shelby County sheriff's department said.
One of our crews can still see a large fire burning at the explosion site.
Bentley said the explosion seems to have been an accident. "We urge Tennesseans to maintain their normal fuel purchasing and driving patterns to help prevent any potential impacts on our fuel supply while the pipeline undergoes repairs".
Video showed a huge plume of flames and smoke rising in a wooded area in Shelby County southwest of Birmingham.
- Baez, Lester share NLCS MVP award
- Klopp makes case for Liverpool defence
- Spokesman: Iraq's PMU to enter Syria to aid Assad after Mosul
- Alternate 'The Walking Dead' Death Scene Leaks After Last Night's Premiere
- Brown County Browser: Sample ballots and absentee ballots
- Mosul Today: UN says IS using thousands as human shields
- Arrivals by boat face lifetime visa ban in Australia
- Broncos' Wade Phillips taken to hospital after hit by Chargers RB
- Putin rejects claims of Russian interference in US election
- Trio leaves ISS, heads back to Earth