The flat-bed trailer was carrying several revellers dressed up for Halloween when it was struck at around 7.45pm local time. Three helicopters and several ambulances took injured people to three hospitals. Multiple victims were airlifted to area hospitals, and John Williamson, director of emergency management for Newton County, says there was a total of 10 victims, including the three people who died. At least three ground ambulances, including Lifecare Ambulance and Metro Ambulance, were also reportedly called to the scene of the accident to transport other injured persons.
The vehicle that hit the flat-bed trailer apparently rear-ended it. Their names and ages were not immediately released.
Two of the victims following the impact while a third victim died waiting for a medical helicopter, he added. Highway Patrol said the accident involved a hayride and another vehicle.
Chunky, with a population of about 325, is near the Chunky River, a popular site for canoeing.
The crash happened after dark on Monday night as both vehicles were travelling westbound on US Highway 80, said Mississippi Highway Patrol Staff Sergeant. NBC News reports that seven people were injured in the accident. Poulos says some had life-threatening injuries. It remains unclear if she was present during Monday's crash.
"This is a small community". Investigators were on the scene late Monday. This is a bad thing to happen anywhere. There was also no word on which company had been responsible for organizing the hayride for that night.
- Missing Australian tourist found alive in Mulu National Park
- Asian Stocks Shaky as FBI Review of Clinton Emails Rattles Markets
- Obama to return to Florida to help Clinton get out the vote
- Kidnapped girls don't want to leave Boko Haram
- Iraqi forces begin assault on Mosul district with artillery
- Starbucks rolls out 'unity' cup ahead of Election Day
- Google warns of Windows zero-day under active exploit
- 911 calls in Pulse nightclub shooting from Omar Mateen released
- First set of CFB Playoff rankings released on Tuesday
- Fraser Health opening free flu shot clinics