Kyle Whittingham's sterling 9-1 record in bowl games with Utah is in jeopardy against in in the Foster Farms Bowl, where in is using two quarterbacks to press the Utes early. In 2004, head coach Urban Meyer took the job at Florida before the Utes went to the Fiesta Bowl.
- Running back Joe Williams earned offensive MVP honors in the game after rushing for 222 yards and a touchdown. True freshman quarterback. Tyler Huntley received significant playing time as he recorded his first collegiate touchdown. How fired up is Utah to play in this bowl game against a 6-6 in team in the middle of the week?
"I just had some sinus trouble and coughs", said Williams, who revealed that he got married a few weeks ago. Return specialist Kyle Fulks had the ball jarred loose on the opening kickoff. Against Utah, he had one of the highlights of the night with a 36-yard touchdown pass. The importance of both players to IU was showcased in the bowl game, with Scales making two sacks and recording three tackles for loss. With missed tackles and injuries piled atop their struggles, Utah's linebacking group was the most maligned position on defense. This marked Redding's second 1,000-yard season in a row. Phillips has a great leg and can make field goals 50+ (5-5 for his career) and Wishnowsky, the Ray Guy award victor for the best punter in the nation, is like an Australian heat seeking missile for dropping punts inside the 20.
A pair of Phillips field goals put the Utes ahead 23-17, but IN took a 24-23 lead with 10:10 left IN the fourth quarter on Devine Redding's 4-yard scoring run.
Mitch Wishnowsky let a punt get away from him, and IN used its favorable field position to it advantage.
The Pac-12 badly needed a dose of Joe Williams and Sack Lake City.
Utah recovered from a disastrous start to lead 17-7 early in the second quarter before the Hoosiers rallied to tie the score by halftime.
IN used a 53 yard pass play to bring itself to Utah's eight yard line, however, they could not make their way into the endzone, and they settled for a field goal to make the score 17-10. They clearly weren't. Utah was its own worst enemy in this contest, turning the ball over four times, including a fumble on the opening kickoff that allowed in to take a 7-0 lead right out of the gate. Whittingham said that everything will be evaluated as it is every year.
The third quarter was certainly quieter, with only a pair of Utah field goals on the scoreboard to give the Pac-12 squad a 23-17 advantage. IN has some question marks due to the coaching change, and Utah did not end the season well. Junior safety Marcus Williams made an interception, while sophomore Chase Hansen had three pass breakups and a fumble recovery. The 40-yard field goal Griffin Oakes attempted with five minutes remaining - a kick that would have put the Hoosiers ahead by four in the waning minutes - was hardly a chip shot. Redding fumbled the ball at the 5-yard line, killing the opportunity to take the lead. You saw it again on Wednesday against Utah - drops by receivers, poor throws by quarterback Richard Lagow, a running game that never fully materialized and the kinds of ineffectiveness that IU could ill afford against a better team like Utah.
Whittingham is now 10-1 in bowl game appearances as a head coach, and the Utes finished with a 9-4 record in 2016.
- Samsung To Sell Voice Controlled Robot Vacuum
- Natural disaster reported in ocean, 269 miles west of Corvallis
- Why you can't stop watching a bald eagle's nest
- Apple plans to open manufacturing facility in Bengaluru
- Barkley grabs dramatic late equaliser as Everton hold Hull
- Game Preview: Ohio State vs. Clemson
- India Amends Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement With Singapore To Curb Black Money
- Jennifer Lopez, Drake Music stars fuel romance rumours
- Chipmaker Nvidia's stock said to drop after new year
- Leicester v West Ham Preview