Three days after Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Badal's cavalcade was attacked with stones in his home constituency- Jalalabad, on Wednesday a man hurled a shoe at Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, who turned 89 recently, in Lambi - assembly constituency.
Mr. Badal was busy in a public meeting at Ratta Khera village amid election campaign, when 40-year-old Gurbachan Singh allegedly hurled the shoe towards him.
Gurbachan is brother of radical Sikh leader Amrik Singh Ajnala.
The incident came just a day after a number of people belonging to Lalbhai village created a chaos as the Chief Minister was making a speech. "He appeared to be upset over the sacrilege incidents which took place in Punjab", he added. The CM was touring Lambi, his own constituency, when this incident happened. But memory of a series of incidents involving the desecration of the Guru Granth Sahib previous year, and alleged government inactivity over the case, has angered many locals.
A case has been registered under various sections of the IPC against 12 people out of which two have been arrested, the SP said.
Terming Capt Amarinder's promise to abolish drugs in Punjab within four weeks after coming to power as "laughable", he said, "The man who saved his nephew and Akali Minister Bikram Singh Majithia from the CBI probe into '6000 crore drug racket in the state is now talking about abolishing drugs". "Here is clear proof that our opponents have conceded defeat in these elections and were now resorting to such disruptive tactics", he said.
"Behind such incidents, are people who want to set Punjab on flames again, and push the youth of Punjab back into the jaws of bloodshed and confrontation", he added.
"These people emerge like seasonal birds during elections but I have stayed amid people everyday".
- Trump, Jack Ma discuss Alibaba creating jobs in US
- Apple and Zeiss tipped to launch AR specs later this year
- Journalist who broke news that WWII started dies aged 105
- New Allegiant flights at CLE spark $42 sale
- Pentagon unveils Perdix micro-drone swarm
- Chris Brown vs. Soulja Boy PPV Fight May Go Down In Dubai
- Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT)
- Report says Carl Edwards retiring immediately from NASCAR racing
- For Honor closed beta coming 26 January
- VW agrees to $4.3B settlement in emissions scandal