A former Houston middle school teacher was sentenced to ten years in prison Friday.
Vera told investigators that the relationship with the student grew, and they continued to have sex and spend time together.
She later admitted to having a sexual relationship with the boy. Prosecutors also said that she let two eighth graders have sex at her home, the Houston Chronicle reports.
But Vera said she had an abortion after getting nervous when child protection officers went to her school to question her.
Sentencing her to a decade behind bars, State District Judge Michael McSpadden said: "We want our teachers to educate our children".
Vera became pregnant as a result of her relationship with the student.
Vera could have faced 30 years in prison after prosecutors accused her of continuous sexual abuse, but she received less time after admitting a lesser charge. She said they met during summer school, and the boy asked to follow her on Instagram.
She told police that what began as messages exchanged on social media escalated in the fall of 2015 when the child asked for her phone number and then asked to hang out.
Another student said: 'He grabbed her butt and everybody saw it.
She met his parents at a school open house and was introduced to them as his girlfriend when she met them again at his home.
Karen Lawson, a therapist testifying for Vera, said she thinks Vera "was driven by being in love" with the boy. Vera reportedly became pregnant with the boy's baby in January 2016, and the teacher told authorities that the student's family was supportive and excited about the baby. Alexandria Vera, 24, who was a teacher at an Aldine Independent School District middle school near Houston, had pleaded guilty to aggravated sexual assault of a child in November.
The boy is now in foster care.
McFadden said the boy and his mother wrote him letters that tried to put some of the blame for the relationship on the boy.
- Trump Interior pick to clarify stance on federal land development
- Huawei's 2017 P8 Lite smartphone boasts sleek design, upgrades under the hood
- Octavia Spencer Buys Out A Cinema Screening For Low Income Families
- Several people 'feared dead' after shooting at Mexican music festival
- Dunleavy leads Hawks past the Bucks
- Federer returns with a win, joins Murray in 2nd round
- Antonio Brown goes public with Mike Tomlin's postgame speech
- Why Trump Probably Won't Trade in His Twitter Handle for @POTUS
- Over 80 False Killer Whales Die At Everglades National Park
- For China, Tillerson's South China Sea remarks increase concerns over Trump