The exercises featured the launch of a cruise missile named "Nasir" and a "smart" laser-guided anti-submarine missile named "Dehlaviyeh".
The final stage of naval drills codenamed "Velayat 95" started by Iranian navy forces in the Strait of Hormuz, the Sea of Oman and North of the Indian Ocean on Sunday.
Trump said earlier this month that "Iran has been put formally put on notice" for firing a ballistic missile, and later imposed new sanctions on Tehran. The range of the "Nasir" cruise missile was not specified.
Cruise missiles - such as the Nasir fired in the most recent missile launches - are not covered by UN Resolution 2231, which was passed shortly after the nuclear deal with Iran was signed in July 2015 and calls on Tehran "not to undertake any activity related to ballistic missiles created to be capable of delivering nuclear weapons, including launches using such ballistic missile technology".
The Iranian Navy has test-fired nuclear missiles during its annual war games in the Persian Gulf, in spite of the US's objections.
For years, Iran has asserted its military proficiency and has been showcasing its military prowess in exercises despite worldwide criticism targeting such drills. We don't respond well to sanctions, but we respond very well to mutual respect. Might the sanctions lead to Iran walking away from the 2015 nuclear deal? Throughout his election campaign, Trump accused the Obama administration of being weak on Iran, and he vowed to crack down if elected. U.S. Gulf allies have long favored a tougher U.S. stance against Iran, whom they blame for regional interference.
Iran's Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) were recently involved in the provocation of vessels in the area.
"The enemy should not be mistaken in its assessments, and it will receive a strong slap in the face if it does make such a mistake", Gen. Pakpour warned.
Threats and warnings from Iran do not seem to have an impression on Washington.
He claimed they violated the United Nations resolution but Iran rejected the claims.
- Fines doubled for drivers caught using mobile phones
- President Trump to Issue New Order Limiting Travel to the US
- Snap looking to price IPO above range
- Sixers' Joel Embiid out for rest of the season
- Fmr LLC Has $220626000 Position in CenterPoint Energy, Inc. (CNP)
- The Next Chapter for 'Pokemon GO' Will Be Wearables Like Glasses
- DC's cherry blossoms could hit peak bloom in 2 weeks
- Types Of Cancer On A Major Rise For Millennials and Generation Xers
- McIlroy unlikely to play Australian Open
- Ash Wednesday can be extruciatingly embarrassing if you work in an office