He shot himself in the head as the auto spun out of control.
By the time he pulled out of the driveway and onto Buffalo Road, state police were behind him, DuCharme said.
Police got the decisive tip-off after Stephens had been on the run for almost 48 hours, when a McDonald's employee recognized him at a drive-thru in Pennsylvania shortly after 11:00 am (1500 GMT) and called authorities.
Stephens then shot himself as his auto spun out of control.
"When people go on the run like this, at some point in time, they need help", Cleveland police chief Calvin Williams told a news conference earlier Tuesday, before Stephens was found dead. Stephens also broadcast a live video, in which he claimed to be responsible for numerous other murders. Before the shooting, Stephens demanded that he say "Joy Lane", the name of his ex-girlfriend.
Nearly 400 tips were called in, Williams said, emphasizing the important role the public played in helping to locate Stephens.
"We disabled the suspect's account within 23 minutes of receiving the first report about the murder video, and two hours after receiving a report of any kind", Osofsky said.
Stephens, who was 37, posted video on Facebook of his seemingly random killing of 74-year-old Robert Godwin Sr.in Cleveland on Sunday. It was just the latest instance of crime footage being shared on social media.
State police caught up to Stephens quickly and gave chase.
Within a day, authorities expanded the search nationwide and offered a $50,000 reward for information leading to his capture.
"All I can say is that I wish he had gone down in a hail of 100 bullets", Godwin's daughter, Brenda Haymon, told CNN.
Godwin is known to be Stephens' only victim, even though he wrote about killing 12 to 15 people.
- Tillerson to press Russian Federation on Syrian chemical weapons
- Hillary apologized to Obama on election night
- Air Pollution Improvements Can Be Easily Undone, Report Says
- Lawyer: United will save evidence in dragged passenger case
- United changes policy, crew can't displace seated passengers
- UK prime minister defends decision to seek snap election
- Los Angeles Clippers tie series 1-1 after win against Jazz
- Russell's HR caps 4-run 9th as Cubs rally past Brewers
- Pence: US won't rest until N. Korea gives up nuclear weapons
- O'Reilly out at Fox News Channel, still denies allegations