Fast and Furious has always been a successful franchise and the eight part of the film was no less.
The top ten list of biggest opening weekends also includes Fate of the Furious predecessor Furious 7, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, both Avengers movies and Transformers: Dark of the Moon.
Fate of the Furious continues to outpace Star Wars: The Force Awakens \/em in terms of the earnings speed; by this time in that film\u0027s release, domestic earnings were $98.78 million and worldwide earnings were $529 million. According to the figures released by BollywoodHungama.com, Begum Jaan earned Rs 3.94 Cr on the opening day while Fast and Furious 8 cashed in Rs 6.29 Cr.
Furious 7 opened with $147.2m (£117.3m) in the United States when it was released in 2015 - but the latest instalment of the series debuted with $100.2m (£80m).
It did $100.2 million domestically and $432.2 million overseas for a global total of $532.5 million. That's also the fastest a film has ever passed the 1 billion yuan mark - threshold to a hit film in China.
The collections have been lower compared to the franchise's previous film.
Fate of the Furious is marked by success based on this weekend's turnout in the box office.
Its nearest competitor was The Boss Baby, which took a further $15.5m (£12.4m) to land second place. While Hollywood has been dominated more and more by superhero movies, "The Fast and The Furious" has been able to carve out a niche in the action genre with a diverse cast that has appealed to a global audience. It stars Vin Diesel who plays Dom, Dwayne Johnson who plays Hobbs, and Jason Statham who plays Deckard.
The new picture is the costliest so far, with a budget of $250 million, according to Box Office Mojo, nearly double the cost of some of the earlier installments. Its previous installment Furious 7 holds the record of highest grossing Hollywood film in India, only surpassed by The Jungle Book (2016) that collected Rs 180 crore.
- Oklahoma sheriff's deputy dies after shooting
- Grizzlies lockdown defender Tony Allen out indefinitely
- Pretty Little Liars 7×11 Playtime video preview
- Arkansas fights on multiple legal fronts to begin executions
- Kenyans Kirui, Kiplagat win Boston Marathon; good day for US
- Congress against politics over Canadian defence minister row
- United Kingdom general election - here we go again
- Drake the victim of $10 home burglary; accused of fathering a child
- The Next 'Star Wars' Spinoff Could Be Announced This Summer
- Grizzlies coach goes ballistic after loss, says officiating 'unacceptable, unprofessional'