Former NFL star Aaron Hernandez was found dead in his prison cell April 18, only days after his acquittal in a double homicide.
"Aaron was looking forward to an opportunity for a second chance to prove his innocence". He says Hernandez would have been transferred to a mental health unit if there was any concern about his well-being.
Hernandez, a former standout for Urban Meyer at the University of Florida, was selected by the New England Patriots in the 113th overall in the fourth round of the 2010 NFL Draft. Hernandez was serving a life sentence for the 2013 murder of an acquaintance but on Friday had been found not guilty of killing two other people.
Hernandez was in a single cell in a general population housing unit in the maximum security state prison.
Guards found Hernandez shortly after 3 a.m. Wednesday at the state prison in Shirley, Correction Department spokesman Christopher Fallon said. In court, prosecutors alleged to the jury that Hernandez gunned down Safiro Furtado and Daniel de Abreu after he became furious over a spilled drink at a nightclub. Authorities tried to revive the former New England Patriots tight end, and he was pronounced dead at UMass Memorial - HealthAlliance Hospital in Leominster at 4:07 a.m.
At press time, officials said they were not aware of any suicide note written by Hernandez. An investigation by detectives from the Worcester District Attorney's office and the Department of Correction, along with an autopsy by a chief medical examiner in Boston, will be conducted to rule out any foul play in the inmate's death. The two men were fatally shot in their vehicle at a stoplight shortly after leaving a Boston nightclub, and had allegedly gotten into a fight with Aaron earlier in the night. "That was a positive thing in our minds", said Alex Cugno, who grew up with Hernandez in Bristol. "Those who love and care about him are heartbroken and determined to find the truth surrounding his untimely death". Mr. Hernandez hanged himself utilizing a bed sheet that he attached to his cell window.
- United CEO says no one will be fired for dragging incident
- Gold falls as U.S. dollar rebounds
- Thousands Demand Trump Release Tax Returns
- Late Ibrahimovic penalty earns draw for Man Utd against Everton
- Klopp questions decision to make Dortmund play so soon after attack
- Facebook murder suspect found dead in vehicle
- 'Shattered' Picks Through The Broken Pieces Of Hillary Clinton's Dream
- What's next and what's at stake in UK snap election
- "Kya tumhe yakeen hai?" says Salman Khan in Tubelight's first poster
- British PM calls for snap election — BREXIT