Auburn students got into shouting matches with a group of Spencer's supporters from the Traditionalist Worker Party - a white nationalist organization - wearing helmets and carrying shields. "There were no other reports of vandalism or damage as a result of the event", Auburn Police spokeswoman Lorenza Dorsey said via email, adding that he did not have an official count but he "would estimate several hundred" people gathered outside Foy Hall Tuesday evening.
A "While Mr. Spencer's beliefs and message are controversial, Auburn presented no evidence that Mr. Spencer advocates violence", U.S. District Court Judge W. Keith Watkins said in his ruling, noting that peaceable free speech is protected by the Constitution. But following discussions by the university with law enforcement, Auburn canceled his speaking event.
As Spencer's profile grew, so did criticism of his movement; he became a target of antifa groups across the country, members of which have sucker-punched Spencer at least twice as he gave interviews to news outlets. "Auburn is going to rue the day that they made this total bulls - t decision".
None of the three is from Auburn or attends Auburn University.
Signs posted around Auburn's campus Tuesday cautioned students to stay inside in order to stay safe.
The hosting of white supremacist Richard Spencer at Alabama college Auburn University on April 18 was certainly not received well by students.
This afternoon, a federal judge ruled that Auburn must allow Spencer to speak in the Foy Auditorium tonight. While Auburn initially planned to allow the event, administrators canceled it on Friday out of concern about "threats to the safety of our students, faculty and staff". It is now more important than ever that we respond in a way that is peaceful, respectful, and maintains civil discourse.
In a letter from Auburn University provost, the school cited safety concerns for the attempted cancelation. "While his event isn't affiliated with the university, Auburn supports the constitutional right to free speech". Spencer claims to have coined the term.
- Los Angeles Clippers tie series 1-1 after win against Jazz
- Gurugram unhappy about no-fuel Sundays, wants eco-friendly transport instead
- Sensex extends gains, up 86 pts on bargain hunting
- O'Reilly out at Fox News Channel, still denies allegations
- Tillerson to press Russian Federation on Syrian chemical weapons
- United changes policy, crew can't displace seated passengers
- Pence: US won't rest until N. Korea gives up nuclear weapons
- EBay Inc (EBAY) Given "Hold" Rating at Royal Bank of Canada
- Playground case touches on separation of church and state
- America's "Facebook Killer" Shoots Himself After Police Chase