Families who scored the roughly 21,000 tickets approached the South Lawn with relative ease, kids spooned their wooden eggs along the grass, someone in an Easter Bunny costume (not Spicer) milled about the crowd, and the President and First Lady spoke to and mingled with their guests. It was just made smaller, down from the 35,000 people who got tickets previous year, but retaining such activities as a reading nook, an area to send messages to USA troops and an entertainment stage.
"We're going to come out and join you, enjoy your company for a roll-a great Easter Egg Roll".
The president signed cards for our troops and the first lady read to a group of children.
Watch the welcome remarks above and some photos and videos of the annual tradition below.
Families attended dressed in their Easter best, and for some that even meant bunny ears. "I hope you have a great time with the many activities", she said, also thanking the men and women of the USA military.
"The Easter Egg Roll is one of the most visible events and a time when the White House is showcased to a large number of people".
For Niceta Lloyd, who goes by "Rickie", the job has the added challenge of collaborating with a first lady who is not yet living at the White House full time.
Like President Obama and First Lady Michelle before her, Melania led the reading of a children's book.
Barron Trump to become the first boy to live in the White House since John F. Kennedy Jr. Just a year ago, the Obama's celebrated their last Easter Egg Roll with famous guests like Beyoncé, Idina Menzel, and athletes from the National Basketball Association and NFL.
"We're bringing back some traditional elements, like military bands, and focusing on the family itself", the First Lady's communications team said. The president thanked his wife in particular, as the official host of the Easter Egg Roll according to CNN.
Asked whether he'd reprise the role at a recent press briefing, Spicer laughed.
"Melania has spent a lot less time in Palm Beach since Barron has been in school", the source said to PEOPLE.
But the egg rolling event, which dates to 1878, wouldn't be made to disappear. U.S. Military bands will perform, and the Martin Family Circus and Bro4 will also attend.
- Junket tourism
- Rouhani, hard line rival register for Iran elections
- South Korea's Former President Park Charged in Corruption Probe
- Arkansas prepping for lethal injections despite halt from courts
- Shark Kills Teen Surfing With Family Off Western Australia's Coast
- New Windows 10 Mobile Concept has some awesome design changes
- Gorillaz to perform at Meadows Music and Arts Festival at Citi Field
- Democrats: Solid opposition to Trump, but what comes next?
- Kim Kardashian Breaks Down Upon Hearing About Kanye West's Hospitalization
- Braves beat Padres 5-2 on opening night at new stadium