A Pescadero woman and her teenage daughter were awoken early Monday morning by a mountain lion that entered their bedroom and snatched their family pet from the foot of their bed, according to the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office.
Now, the San Mateo authorities are advising and reminding local residents to secure their doors and windows before sleeping, and to heed the advice posted on the department's website about avoiding mountain lion interactions. Fought says her dog was sleeping in a doggie bed. She says she only realized the animal was a mountain lion after it picked up Lenore, her 15-pound Portuguese Podengo, and stalked back out.
She looked up at the French doors and saw a shadow of an animal enter the room.
The 15-pound Lenore let out a bark around 3:30 a.m. Monday. She and her daughter Catalina Peso were also in bed when the mountain lion slipped into the room through their double doors.
With a flashlight, the woman looked for her dog, but only found large wet paw prints at the entrance of her bedroom, Zuno said. Salvador Zuno, spokesman for the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office.
Sheriff's officials have been in touch with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife for any necessary follow-up investigation.
"We don't know anything yet", Hughan said. Mountain lions are very familiar in the area and Fought said one attacked their horse a couple years ago. But Fought never expected a mountain lion to walk into their house.
A California game warden tried finding paw prints to help track the mountain lion down.
She did say that other residents have encountered the big cats indirectly through stealthy attacks on their livestock, but even that is seldom.
Deputies were called to a home in the 800 block of Native Sons Road, about a half-mile south of Pescadero Creek Road, for a report of the mountain lion encounter.
"They're very easy to find, inexpensive, light and compact", Zuno said of the devices.
- Johnson & Johnson says pricing competition squeezing sales
- Rudy Gestede urges Middlesbrough to keep believing
- United Kingdom snap election may boost Scottish independence hopes, Sturgeon says
- Apple Music will integrate with Facebook Messenger's new song
- Netflix nears 100 million subscribers worldwide
- Patriots sign Mike Gillislee to a $6.4 million offer sheet
- Aaron Rodgers was 'a little surprised' by Tony Romo's retirement
- Mallya arrested in London, to be produced before the Westminster Magistrates' Court
- Irving scores 37, Cavs hold on to beat Pacers 117-111
- Kelly says critical lawmakers should changes laws or shut up