Nintendo had plans to launch the SNES Mini for a while now, which is why the company didn't feel especially pressured to launch more NES Mini consoles once the device was discontinued. Thus far, Nintendo hasn't given an exact reason for this decision, only saying that the NES Classic was never meant to be a long-running product.
Nintendo broke the hearts of many retro gaming fans last week when it announced the NES Classic Edition had been discontinued. The system is already under development, and could be ready for this holiday season.
The hole left by the surprise cancellation of the NES mini could be filled sooner than expected, with reports circulating that Nintendo is planning a SNES mini for the end of this year. We don't know which games Nintendo would choose to include, though. With the SNES Mini, hopefully Nintendo will be able to avoid similar issues. Despite the demand for the console, Nintendo recently confirmed that production on the NES Classic Edition had stopped worldwide.
The RetroFreak is a new 12-in-1 that does what the NES Classic Mini did not.
The NES Classic Mini cost £50 at retail - an incredibly cheap price considering how many games were bundled. In a statement, it said that the last shipments of the NES Classic would be shipped this month - despite pent-up demand for the product, which has quickly sold out.
Many classic SNES titles weren't even released in Europe though, including classics such as Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and EarthBound.
Stoked? Tell us what game you want to play on your SNES in the comments.
- North Korea missile launch fails: Seoul
- Gold falls as U.S. dollar rebounds
- Malcolm Butler Signs Restricted Free Agent Tender
- That 'Armada' Heading To North Korea? Actually, It Sailed South
- Israel troops shoot, kill Palestinian in car-ramming attack
- Former NFL Player Aaron Hernandez Found Dead Inside Prison Cell
- Klopp questions decision to make Dortmund play so soon after attack
- Serena Williams won the Australian Open while pregnant, it seems
- Kenyans Dominate Boston Marathon
- The Walking Dead promotes 3 characters to series regulars for season 8