The 2018 Frozen Four (April 5-7), as previously announced, will be staged at Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, Minn. On Tuesday afternoon, it was announced that Quinnipiac was selected as the site of the 2019 NCAA National Collegiate Women's Ice Hockey Championship. Even more so because the Penn State women's team will also be hosting a regional of their own in 2022, on-campus at the Pegula Ice Arena. Other schools in the tournament that year included Wisconsin and Mercyhurst. "We look forward to working with a variety of constituencies locally and in the Allentown area to provide a memorable experience for the teams and fans from all over the country who will attend these NCAA championship events".
The downtown Allentown arena, which has a standing-room capacity of over 9,000, will host the 2018 and 2019 NCAA Men's Hockey Midwest Regionals with Penn State University serving as the host institution.
ME has been shut out in its bid to host NCAA men's hockey tournament games at Portland's Cross Insurance Arena in 2019.
If Penn State were to make the NCAA tournament following either or both of the next two seasons, it would be given geographical preference to play in Allentown. There had been talk of Portland, Maine hosting a regional at the recently-renovated Cross Insurance Arena, but it won't happen in this cycle. "It's an honor to have those efforts recognized with successful bids to host NCAA Championship events in our two newest sports and in two new, state-of-the-art facilities".
The event will be the last weekend in March.
While some may wonder why the Midwest regional is being held in a town that is a couple of hours drive from New York City, it makes sense in the college hockey universe. The last time UNH hosted a regional was in 2005. Holy Cross will host a 2018 regional at the DCU Center in Worcester, Mass., and Fairfield and Yale will cohost a 2018 regional at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, Conn.
The NCAA men's and women's cross country mid-Atlantic regional will return to the Penn State Golf Courses on November 9, 2018, and November 13, 2020.
- Google said to be planning ad-blocking filter for Chrome browser
- Man arrested after stalking, proposing to Malia Obama
- That 'Armada' Heading To North Korea? Actually, It Sailed South
- Serena Williams won the Australian Open while pregnant, it seems
- More woe for Hartley, Scots as Lions squad for NZ announced
- Nintendo Classic Mini SNES out this Christmas claims rumour
- Trump's EPA to reconsider oil and gas emissions rule
- Malcolm Butler Signs Restricted Free Agent Tender
- VA tests partnership with CVS to reduce veterans' wait times
- Penguins beat Blue Jackets in OT, Canadiens defeat Rangers