Though he never reached the mountain top of being a UFC champion, he's a guy many fight fans will remember fondly for his incredible one-punch knockout power.
Following the fight, an emotional "Rumble" (22-6 record in MMA) went first for the interview and revealed that he would be retiring from UFC.
"I'm a better fighter".
Jones referred to himself as "the greatest mixed martial artist who's ever walked this planet" in speaking to the media for the first time since being suspended in July.
Saturday's fight is a rematch of their UFC 187 bout in which Cormier submitted Johnson in the third round to win the vacant UFC light heavyweight championship.
"Nobody addressed it. They just basically got away with one of the dirtiest things I've seen in sports."-Jon Jones on Daniel Cormier's controversial weigh-in". In the second round, Johnson again tried to take Cormier down.
When Johnson last stepped into The Octagon against Daniel Cormier almost two years ago, he did so with the reputation of a hard-hitting mixed martial artist with one-punch knockout power, and put that skill set on display early.
UFC 210 was full of controversy and head scratchers in different areas, and Twitter was all over every aspect of the night.
Johnson had kept his decision a secret from all but a few of the people closest to him, with not even UFC President Dana White having prior knowledge of the bombshell that he dropped in the Octagon after the fight. "So of course I'd fight Jon Jones".
DC also has unsolicited advice for Jones - don't go to UFC 210. "I'm going to show the world not only do I have breast implants, but I'm a talented fighter".
"I understand NY is new to regulating mixed martial arts, but they've been doing boxing for a long time", he said. "The difference is I am going to stand up to him".
There was no other real drama as all the other main participants for the big event made weight.
Cormier on if he was surprised Johnson tried to wrestle with him: "It did surprise me, but then I said ok, I hung on him and I knew I'd get him". It kind of depends on what they do with Jones. By the time he tried to get out, Cormier was all over him. "We'll talk when he comes off suspension".
- American Express profit falls 13 percent, but tops forecasts
- UK prime minister defends decision to seek snap election
- ACC extends deals with North Carolina sites after law change
- NCAA Awards FSU 2022 Golf Regional Championships
- Pred Dawn: Nashville's Crazy OT Win
- EBay Inc (EBAY) Given "Hold" Rating at Royal Bank of Canada
- Russell's HR caps 4-run 9th as Cubs rally past Brewers
- Los Angeles Clippers tie series 1-1 after win against Jazz
- VA tests partnership with CVS to reduce veterans' wait times
- Penn State to host NCAA Women's Frozen Four