Worcester District Attorney Joseph Early Jr. said back in August that 27-year-old Vanessa Marcotte was reported missing after failing to return from a Sunday afternoon walk in Princeton.
Marcotte grew up in Leominster and was working as an account manager for Mountain View, California-based Google in NY. "We're very confident that we got Vanessa Marcotte's killer". Police said her body was naked and partially burned. The DNA was used to help create a profile of a suspect, which was released two months ago. Early said he anticipates a murder charge against Colon-Ortiz, who is expected to be arraigned Tuesday. The announcement comes almost two months after the district attorney said a DNA profile of a suspect had been developed.
Prosecutors have charged Colon-Ortiz with aggravated assault, aggravated assault and battery, and assault with the intent to rape.
"Vanessa Marcotte was a much loved member of the Google team, working in our NY office for the a year ago and a half, and known for her ubiquitous smile, passion for volunteer work, and love of Boston sports", a Google spokesperson said.
The trooper wrote down the license plate of the vehicle and followed up by obtaining DNA from Colon-Ortiz the next day.
In February, investigators said they had compiled a DNA profile of Marcotte's killer.
Mr. Colon-Ortiz, meanwhile, is being held on $1 million bail at Massachusetts State Police barracks in Millbury pending an arraignment hearing now scheduled for Tuesday. That sample was determined to be a match on Friday and Colon-Ortiz was subsequently arrested. He also said Ortiz worked in the area and "had been for some time".
- Crosby, Penguins edge Blue Jackets 4-1 for 2-0 series lead
- Russia vetoes UN resolution to condemn Syria chemical attack
- Will Kendrick Lamar Drop Another Album on Sunday? The Internet Thinks So
- Marc Bartra: Borussia Dortmund defender released from hospital
- LeBron to miss regular-season finale, resting strained calf
- Comedian Charlie Murphy Of 'Chappelle's Show' Dies At 57
- Iran's Rouhani calls Assad to stress backing for Syrian state
- Kohli declared match fit, to play in RCB's clash against Mumbai Indians
- Trump says US not going to get involved in Syria
- Anti-Defamation League Offers To Educate Sean Spicer On Holocaust