The Diamondbacks placed center fielder A.J. Pollock on the 10-day disabled list Monday with a strained right groin and selected the contract of outfielder Reymond Fuentes from the Triple-A Reno Aces. A firmer timetable for his return should become available as he continues to progress in his recovery. Jake Lamb grounded out to second and the Pirates won the game, 6-4, in ten innings.
Pollock and manager Torey Lovullo, speaking before Monday night's game against the New York Mets, said the injury is less severe than the left groin strain that ended Pollock's season three weeks early previous year. Fuentes, who had brief stints in the major with San Diego in 2013 and Kansas City previous year, was immediately inserted into the lineup as the leadoff hitter on Monday against the Mets.
Lovullo said Pollock will not be rushed back. "He's going to be ahead of this injury and ready to contribute at the level he was contributing prior to the injury".
David Peralta departed in the eighth inning and A.J. Pollock departed in the 10th inning with an undisclosed injury.
Arizona Diamondbacks Sign Somerset Patriots' Pitcher - Somerset Patriots' left-handed pitcher Aaron Laffey has been purchased by the Arizona Diamondbacks. Laffey, 32, last pitched in the majors in 2015, when he went 1-0 with a 3.68 ERA in three relief appearances for Washington.
Fuentes will start for Arizona in center field and lead off in the order as it opens a series against the New York Mets on Monday.
"It doesn't hurt as much as it did previous year", he said Monday.
- Italian Open: Andy Murray eliminated by home player Fabio Fognini
- Spurs beats Man United in stadium finale to secure 2nd spot
- Uber Must Return Stolen Waymo Files, Can Continue Self-driving Work: Judge
- Intel to launch Core i9 Skylake-X & i7 Kaby Lake-X CPUs
- Dele Alli's happy at Tottenham but won't rule out a future move
- TAKE A STAND: North Korea Missile Test
- Garland has no interest in leaving judiciary for Federal Bureau of Investigation , source says
- China's Xi says Belt and Road summit reaches consensus, achieves positive outcomes
- China Increases Spending on the Silk Road
- Global appeal for return of Harry Potter prequel