Goodyear's "wingfoot" logo will soon be featured on Cleveland Cavaliers jerseys as part of a multi-year deal.
The Wingfoot jerseys had the Goodyear name and logo on them.
Terms of Goodyear's deal with the Cavs was not disclosed.?The deal will be announced later Monday. Teams that have signed deals include the Philadelphia 76ers (StubHub), Sacramento Kings (Blue Diamond), Boston Celtics (GE), Brooklyn Nets (Infor) and Utah Jazz (Qualtrics).
The tire company, founded and headquartered in Akron, Ohio, where James was born and now lives, signed a multi-year deal to be on the team's jerseys, sources told ESPN.
The new Nike jerseys that will be sold in the Cavs' team shop and online will have the Wingfoot logo, a Cavs source confirmed to Crain's Cleveland Business.
Nike will be the NBA's official uniform supplier. Adidas has been the league's apparel provider for the past 11 years.
"Every Akron kid grew up seeing the Wingfoot in the sky on the blimp and feeling pride in our community".
In addition to the Cavs, Goodyear will collaborate with Turner Sports, a national broadcaster of the NBA and the official media extension of this agreement, who will bring to life the power of the jersey patch through custom branded content and advertising on TNT and other platforms. The logo is 2.5-by-2.5 inches in size.
Through the partnership, Goodyear and the Cavs will also support their communities.
The team believes the Akron-based manufacturer is a flawless partner, partially because of the shared ties with James, the three-time champ who grew up there and remains committed to his hometown.
While on-jersey logos are relatively new in North American sports, they've been part of European soccer for years.
CLEVELAND The Cavaliers are teaming up with another Akron icon. "There is something special for me personally about having that logo on the Cavs uniform".
This morning, the Cavs announced a 1 p.m. press conference for a "major announcement" with GM David Griffin and CEO Len Komoroski in attendance. In the 1930s, Goodyear was a founding member of the National Basketball League, a precursor to today's NBA.
- Scream Queens cancelled after two seasons
- Hackers Are Threatening to Leak Upcoming 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Movie
- Deadwood actor Powers Boothe dies age 68 of natural causes
- IPL 2017: Rising Pune Supergiants beat Kings XI Punjab by 9 wickets
- McMaster talks tough on Russian Federation amid Trump-Kremlin dealings
- Jadhav case to be forcefully pursued: Ausaf
- France's Macron picks PM from the right, blowing apart old boundaries
- Tillerson Unconcerned About Independence in Wake of Comey Firing
- High school student dies after drinking too much caffeine
- Macron sworn in as France's new president