Revenues from the Surface hardware line fell 26 per cent, which Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella blamed on product life cycles (the Surface Pro 4 is almost 20 months old now) and increasing competition in the sector.
Microsoft is expected to launch new surface hardware at the event.
Taking in consideration the that Surface Pro 4 is a bestseller and that two years have passed since it was released, one might think that it's safe to assume Surface Pro 5 is already under works. It doesn't exist. Corporate Vice-President of Devices at Microsoft and Surface creator Panos Panay has made this shocking reveal ahead of the Shanghai event on May 23. This is also the part of the interview where he is quoted in saying that, "there's no such thing as a Pro 5". If nothing else, if feels like Microsoft is flexing its design and manufacturing muscles with the Surface Laptop.
18 months ago, Microsoft stopped reporting Xbox numbers due to falling sales, it will be interesting to see how long it is before Surface sales go the same way as the Xbox reporting. "It's a real test tube for all of us, whether it's Microsoft or any of us, right." Chromebooks are a major success in the United States and Raghavan said that they are exploring more options to spread it over the world. "I'm looking for an experiential change that makes a huge difference in product line". It's been almost two years since the Surface Pro 4 was updated, making it slower and outdated compared to other knock offs.
"Meaningful change isn't necessarily a hardware change, which is what a lot of people look for", the Surface chief explained. It has been a year and a half since the Pro 4 was released, but Microsoft has intended for it to be remain competitive for five years. But the statement also hints at the possibility that the wait may never end. I'm not being down on Microsoft-after all, they're the only company that has ever tried. Available for pre-order now, the Surface Laptop is set to hit the market on June 15, while other Windows 10 S devices will come out this summer, Microsoft said. If Microsoft can get past that and launch a Pro 5 that makes for a radical improvement over its predecessor, it would be truly fantastic. Thereafter, the USB Type-C port too might be seen featuring on the Pro 5, a first on any Surface device. Will Microsoft stun the world by releasing this highly-awaited smartphone? However, with Microsoft in no hurry to bring it to the market, investing in a Pro 4 wouldn't be any less wise if you need to upgrade immediately.
- Donald Trump lashes out at 'fake media' over coverage of healthcare act
- Elon Musk: Robot software will make Tesla worth as much as Apple
- Microsoft fixes critical security flaw in Windows Defender
- Snapchats no longer have to disappear after 10 seconds
- North Korea claims plot reveals US state-sponsored terrorism
- Syrian refugees name baby after Canadian PM Justin Trudeau
- Snapchat messages won't always disappear as fast as they used to
- Mattis cites good talks with Turkey on fighting IS in Syria
- Macron's challenge to mend France's fractured political landscape
- Target increases its free shipping threshold as Amazon drops it