It is however not clear that how the first person received the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
"We really wanted to try to do something".
The GAVI global vaccine alliance said on Friday that some 300,000 emergency doses of an Ebola vaccine developed by Merck could be available in case of a large-scale outbreak, but it would be up to the World Health Organization and others to determine "if and when deployment of vaccine into this outbreak is warranted". But it took three weeks for experts to identify the disease, meaning it could have already spread much more widely than is presently known. It has not yet been dispatched to the DRC, but health agencies are considering sending the 300,000 available vaccine doses.
A spokesperson for Merck said the company "stands ready" to ship the stockpiled vaccine once approvals are in place.
He said that Humanitarian Aid Commissioner Christos Stylianides, who is the EU Ebola coordinator, together with colleague Vytenis Andriukaitis, responsible for health, were closely following the developments, and that the Commission's Emergency Response Coordination Centre (ERCC) was taking preparatory measures.
The 2014-2016 outbreak in West Africa was the largest and most complex since its emergence. Researchers conducted a randomized trial in the midst of the epidemic, a decision which raised ethical concerns about giving people at risk of dying a placebo.
Medics across the country have received medical briefings on the Ebola alert.
One case of the hemorrhagic fever was confirmed out of the five tested since the outbreak emerged April 22 in Bas-Uele province, Health Minister Oly Ilunga Kalenga said. In the second there were 16.
All immigrants will be screened and frisked as they get in. Of the cases and deaths, one has tested PCR-positive for Ebola.
Ebola kills chimpanzees, which are eaten in the region, and whose populations could also suffer from this outbreak.
While news reports point out that the last outbreak was a tragic episode in West Africa, the only similarity between the two outbreaks is the virus.
"I am here to assure the government of DR Congo that in collaboration with the United Nations system and other partners, we will work together to respond to this outbreak", Moeti said at the meeting. That outbreak was not connected to the massive epidemic in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone that left thousands dead.
- Instagram Copies Snapchat Once Again With Face Filters
- Cisco revenue forecast disappoints; says to cut 1100 more jobs
- Adidas sells off TaylorMade golf unit to private equity firm
- Haley: US will 'tighten the screws' on North Korean nuclear program
- Journalist killed in Mexican state of Culiacan
- Bobby Ryan lifts Senators past Penguins in OT in Game 1
- Hashtag facepalm: Emoji Movie star makes inelegant splash at Cannes
- Women Can Safely Induce Their Own Abortions, New Study Finds
- Stock Futures Rise as Oil Enjoys More Gains
- Australia is looking at introducing laptop computer bans on some flights