Jose Mourinho has ended the debate as to which Manchester United goalkeeper will start the club's very first Europa League final, with the previously-maligned Sergio Romero set to retain his place ahead of first-choice rival David De Gea for the eagerly-anticipated clash with Ajax.
With Manchester United's active involvement in next season's Champions League exclusively dependent on the outcome in Sweden, Jose's decision will generate questions as for De Gea's long-term future at Old Trafford.
"They are two fantastic goalkeepers. I never saw in all my career two goalkeepers to be such friends", said Mourinho, whose sixth-place side visit Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League on Sunday. We're speaking about the Argentina national goalkeeper and Spain national goalkeeper.
"Because, in the last game, I'm going to play a lot of changes". I have to give some minutes to everyone because we have only 15 players, we don't have more, so I have to play them. So we can finish fifth or sixth and we can win a trophy.
"We are not saying matches are not important".
It'll be a tough afternoon for the Red Devils who are missing the likes of Marcos Rojo, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Luke Shaw through injury, alongside Marouane Fellaini through suspension.
So impressive since arriving from Villarreal last summer, the 23-year-old was shown a straight red card for raising his hands during a heated end to the 1-1 draw with Celta.
"Big penalty", Mourinho said at the time, although it mattered little in the long run as Chelsea went on to qualify as winners of their group. But if I was in your chair, maybe.
"I think you, the media, have the right to say (that) and I think it makes sense to say", he told reporters after United completed a 2-1 aggregate win over Celta Vigo in the semi-finals on Thursday.
"The thinking is we have other good players, we have people that need and deserve to play and people that need and deserve to rest", Mourinho said to Sky Sports.
- Katy Perry tour to stop in Chicago in October
- Monaco on the verge of Ligue 1 title with Lille win
- Trump honors fallen police, vows to reduce violence
- USA may ban laptops in passenger cabins on all flights from Europe
- Trump taps Callista Gingrich to be ambassador to the Vatican
- China 'seriously concerned' over North Korea missile warnings
- The new Galaxy Note 7R refurb just got Bluetooth Certification
- Kylie Jenner Says She Feels "Constantly Pressured" To Keep Up Her Image
- Russia, Saudi call for oil output deal extension
- Oil rises 2% after Saudi Arabia and Russia back longer supply cut