Google's interest in virtual reality (VR) is pretty well-known, what with the launch of the Google Cardboard headset and the Daydream platform. Like Gear VR before it, Daydream requires a phone to be inserted into a headset to operate.
According to a report, the company might give developers a limited preview of the headset before a commercial release, which is expected alongside the Google Pixel 2 in October this year.
Daydream VR 2.0: Google unveiled its VR platform, Daydream VR in 2016 alongside the Daydream View headset. This will be ideal for users as they wouldn't be distracted by notifications and other distractions while viewing and engaging with VR content. Competitors such as Sony, HTC and Facebook are said to be working on similar technology.
The technology has been described as cutting-edge and will likely include inside-out positional tracking. By doing this, it is possible for app developers to add virtual characteristics or features to a space. In an odd twist though, none of these leading VR apps work on the Daydream platform, but they do work on rival platforms like Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. In fact it seems that the project has been coming along rather nicely and that Google could very well unveil a dedicated VR headset at Google I/O 2017 which will be kicking off this week from the 17-19th of May. That means the headset will be aware of your location in space without any external hardware, so setup is vastly easier. That's why anything shown at Google I/O this week may just be an early glimpse at the next generation of VR coming from Google. The device will use inside-out tracking, meaning that it won't require any additional sensors to track your movements. The company now uses a Controller Emulator app, which lets users use a secondary Android phone as a controller.
- West Lafayette Regional: New Mexico takes lead, IL falls to sixth
- Germany's Angela Merkel racks up another come-from-behind victory
- Man holding human head stabs worker at Oregon grocery store
- Turkey president: Trump arming Syrian Kurds a 'mistake'
- Ranveer turns 'half girlfriend' for Arjun
- Fox looks to sci-fi, fantasy this fall; MacFarlane in space
- Bermuda triangle: Private plane carrying NY family goes missing near Bahamas
- Tehran mayor Qalibaf quits presidential race, backs hardliner Raisi
- Markets Right Now: Energy stocks lead indexes higher
- Braves bash Blue Jays with 15-hit barrage in 9-5 win