Tuesday, 23 May 2017
Latest news
Main » High school student dies after drinking too much caffeine

High school student dies after drinking too much caffeine

16 May 2017
High school student dies after drinking too much caffeine

A coroner says a 16-year-old SC high school student had an otherwise healthy heart before he died from heart problems linked to drinking too much caffeine.

Watts officially ruled the cause of death as a caffeine-induced cardiac event.

"On this particular day within the two hours prior to his death, we know had consumed a large diet Mountain Dew, a cafe latte from McDonalds and also some type of energy drink", Watts said.

A 16-year-old Spring Hill High School who collapsed in a classroom died from ingesting too much caffeine, the county coroner said Monday.

Davis Allen Cripe died April 26 at Palmetto Health Parkridge Hospital after collapsing at Spring Hill High School.

"Davis, like so many other kids and so many other people out there today, was doing something (he) thought was totally harmless, and that was ingesting lots of caffeine", Watts said.

"It wasn't a auto crash that took his life", he said of his son.

Davis' autopsy showed no undiagnosed heart conditions and that Davis was healthy and had no conditions that could have triggered by the caffeine intake. Rather, the coroner says the teens death was entirely attributed to the excessive consumption of caffeine which lead to heart arrhythmia and ultimately death. "Instead, it was an energy drink", he said.

Sean Cripe said he hopes that if nothing else comes out of this, parents and kids will realize the dangers of caffeinated beverages.

The third incident cited by the website was about a Japanese man who died after mixing energy drinks with caffeine pills.

'This is what's risky about this - you can have five people line up and all of them do the exact same thing with him that day, drink more, and it may not have any type of effect on them at all, ' he said. Therefore, by drinking just three highly caffeinated beverages, Cripe could have easily consumed well over the daily limit of 400 mg in just two hours, leading to a caffeine overdose. A large McDonald's latte reportedly contains approximately 178 mg of caffeine and energy drinks range from 72 to 111 mg of caffeine per serving.