The incident happened circa noon, Sunday, Mother's day as the man made his way through the Estacada Thrifty Harvest market.
Police have said the stabbing at the market is connected to the death of a woman found at a home in nearby Colton.
Joshua Webb has been booked on charges of murder and attempted murder in Clackamas County, Oregon.
The man suspected of killing a woman and then carrying a severed head into an OR grocery store and stabbing a checkout clerk has been identified as 36-year-old Joshua Lee Webb.
Detectives from Clackamas County Sheriff's Office now believe the two crimes are linked and are not looking for anyone else in connection with the attacks.
The victim, who has also not been named, was flown to Emanuel Hospital for treatment and their condition is not known.
Investigators determined the woman died at the Elwood Road home, and that the same man is a suspect in her homicide and in the Estacada stabbing.
The gruesome and weird chain of events began Sunday afternoon when Webb entered the Thriftway grocery store covered in blood and armed with "what looked like a large kitchen type of knife", Roberts said. Other workers held Webb down until authorities arrived and took him into custody. He was taken into custody and then taken to a nearby hospital for evaluation.
Sandy Interim Police Chief Ernie Roberts told KGW that the 36-year-old attacker did not say anything after he was 'subdued' - except to say he was thirsty.
Police did not say whether the body was headless.
At around 2:30 p.m., police received a call that a woman was deceased inside her home, off of Elwood Road in Colton, Oregon.
- Putin sits down at piano in China, plays Soviet songs
- Germany's Angela Merkel racks up another come-from-behind victory
- Cornyn considers Federal Bureau of Investigation role, some lawmakers caution against picking a partisan
- Ranveer turns 'half girlfriend' for Arjun
- Three hospitals affected by global cyber attack
- China 'seriously concerned' over North Korea missile warnings
- Kylie Jenner Says She Feels "Constantly Pressured" To Keep Up Her Image
- Will bring new law, if triple talaq struck down: Centre to SC
- Legendary music boss Reid out amid harassment reports
- Eric Bailly could face extended ban after Europa League dismissal