Liverpool's thrashing of West Ham United earlier in the day meant that Jose Mourinho's men had to win to keep their slim hopes of finishing inside the top four alive.
It is the Europa League or bust for Manchester United now, as Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Tottenham saw them mathematically eliminated from the race for a top-four place.
Mata returned to action for the first time since March after recovering from a groin injury. When I can play, I try to prove how capable I am and that I can do this job.
The Ivorian will now miss the final against Ajax in Stockholm and it'll be a massive blow as he's been our best central defender this season, playing a vital role in helping the side to the final.
Mourinho said: 'When the game was hard and they were better than us, and when we were in trouble and not playing well, it was that mentality, that desire, that togetherness that made the boys fight until the end.
Among the standouts was Italian full back Matteo Darmian who man-marked Mesut Ozil whenever the German ghosted into United's half, but critics might argue with the negative brief.
"You can not play two big competitions with 15 players". In one of our three remaining matches I am going to play him.
'The boys gave everything they had, I'm really pleased for them. They are important. But we have one that is more important than others.
Shreeves requested another question, but the Manchester United manager made a decision to move on.
- Blue Jays place lefty Liriano on 10-day DL with shoulder inflammation
- Gunmen kill 10 laborers near port in southwest Pakistan
- Significance & Importance of the Day You
- Twins hope to continue road success at Cleveland
- Heavy rain, then possible clearing on Mother's Day
- Barcelona facing injury crisis ahead of trip to Las Palmas
- Cyber-attack 'unprecedented' in scale
- India likely to skip China's Belt and Road forum
- Emmanuel Macron dashes his ex-boss Valls' hopes for ticket
- Juventus wastes chance to clinch title with 3-1 loss at Roma