Paris Saint-Germain found it nearly impossible to defend their title despite a 5-0 road victory over Saint-Etienne as Monaco had a far superior goal difference and a game in hand, reports Xinhua news agency. Monaco has to lose its next two games by large margins for PSG to stand even a remote chance.
A draw against Saint-Etienne on Wednesday will suffice for Monaco to win the title.
Cavani scored his 46th and 47th goals of the season, but an emphatic victory was not enough for PSG after Monaco all but sealed the title with a 4-0 home win against Lille. His teammate Lucas also scored two.
"As long as it's mathematically possible, we're going to do everything to play for the title right to the end", Maxwell told the club's official website.
Falcao headed in early on and Bernardo Silva's strike just before half-time was Monaco's 100th goal in their remarkable league season.
And while last season's runners up Lyon are nearly assured of fourth and Europa League football next season, Marseille travel to Bordeaux in a crunch clash for the the second Europa League qualifying place - Marseille now lead Bordeaux by a point. The other goal came from Julian Draxler.
Teen forward Kylian Mbappe showed tremendous pace to surge past defender Franck Beria and then return a pass for Silva to thump home. After it went in, Monaco coach Leonardo Jardim normally a reserved character jumped off the bench and pumped his fist vigorously as he shuffled along the touchline. We saw Barcelona score three goals in three minutes.
Marseille is in fifth place, one point above Bordeaux, and with a comfortable-looking home game against 19th-placed Bastia next Saturday. Goals from Cheikh Ndoye and Karl Toko Ekambi gave the cup finalists a 2-0 win at OGC Nice as they became the first L1 team this season to take all three points from a trip to the Allianz Riviera in what was the final match staged there in 2016-17.
Giovanni Sio struck midway through the second half for Rennes and defeat for Caen has left them two points above second-bottom Bastia.
- Jennifer Lawrence in Darren Aronofsky's thriller "mother!" poster
- Oil rises 2% after Saudi Arabia and Russia back longer supply cut
- Supreme Court rejects appeal over NC voter ID law
- Sega Announces Plans To Revive Major IPs
- Celtics, Wizards have own crosses to bear heading into Game 7
- Students choose NDP in mock election
- Palestinians hope for settlement curb if peace talks resume
- France's Macron picks PM from the right, blowing apart old boundaries
- Hackers Are Threatening to Leak Upcoming 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Movie
- Cavs to wear Goodyear logo on jerseys next season