Considering the limited number of devices are now capable of running on Daydream, Google is investing more into virtual reality to make its Android smartphone OS the de facto platform for VR through its Daydream initiative.
In a blog post, Google's augmented reality (AR) and VR engineering director Relja Markovic praised Owlchemy's track record for creating "thoughtful interactive experiences".
Owlchemy Labs, the maker of the popular "Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality" VR content has just been acquired by Google.
The financial terms of the acquisition are a mystery, and we also don't know exactly what "awesome things" Owlchemy plans to build under Google's supervision.
KitGuru Says: Given the fact that Google is trying to establish its own VR platform, it makes sense for the company to acquire some outside talent along the way.
For Google, the acquisition means a powerful boost to its virtual reality area, focused today on the development of Daydream VR glasses, available for some Android devices. With Google, we feel like we can advance the industry and solve tough problems together. Owlchemy Labs made its name with products that make extensive and novel use of touch controllers. The studio has reassured its fans through a blog posting that it will continue to focus on its hand interactions and offer top quality experiences, similar to that offered by Job Simulator.
Along with developing games, Google and Owlchemy team will also be collaborating to develop new interaction models across different platforms.
Google has acquired VR games company Owlchemy Labs, makers of Job Simulator. Google is working hard to develop more VR content. Facebook owned VR film studio, Oculus is closed to fund external projects. On the other hand, Google's current VR platform Daydream features a remote with limited motion controls.
- Olaf president: Racist note found on vehicle was fabricated
- 500M Windows 10 devices, half of 2018 goal
- Quake in far western China leaves 8 dead, 11 injured
- Paul Clement happy for Swansea City to celebrate if they avoid relegation
- 15 great white sharks spotted off Southern California coast
- Kelly Clarkson Might Be One Of The Judges On American Idol Reboot
- Aetna becomes latest insurer to flee ACA exchanges
- Manchester United x Celta Vigo- Game Preview
- Nvidia unveils massive AI processing chip Tesla V100
- Cardinals sign Blaine Gabbert to compete for backup QB position