McIlroy told reporters during The Players Championship that he was having the MRI to determine the cause of the back pain he suffered during the tournament.
McIlroy's (rib/back) MRI on Monday revealed no new injuries, although he's suffering from a low-grade response to the rib issue he was affected by earlier in the year, Bill Speros of GolfWeek.com reports.
Despite his No. 2 world ranking, McIlroy is almost five points behind leader Dustin Johnson, and has not won since the Tour Championship last fall. I've just sort of been managing it since. "But, yeah, there's so many unknowns because we don't even know, unless you get an image taken of it and you know exactly what's going on you don't know, so just making sure that the tissue around it is as loose as it possibly can be and at least the warm weather helps keep it not stiffened up". He played four times in six weeks, and then took off three weeks after the Masters to get married and go on his honeymoon. I tried to overpower this golf course the first few times I played it and that didn't work so well. "If that injury was an eight or a nine in terms of pain and soreness and stiffness, this is around a four or five. I feel like I can distinguish what the difference is between the two", he said.
Once the fun ended, McIlroy hit the practice range last Friday and Saturday for several hours each day.
"It's obviously not 100 percent, but it's good enough to get myself around here for the next couple of days", McIlroy said about his back.
"It's Sawgrass, it's tricky", McIlroy said.
Rahm enters the weekend 4-under par and in the mix, five shots out of the lead held by Louis Oosthuizen and Kyle Stanley.
Willett, who has been hampered by back problems throughout his career, struggled to an opening 79 on Thursday and had covered the back nine at Sawgrass in 40 before calling it a day.
- Man Dies After Setting Himself On Fire On Facebook Live
- Celtics, Wizards have own crosses to bear heading into Game 7
- Snapchat shares plummet as Snap Inc's first results are out
- Jennifer Lawrence in Darren Aronofsky's thriller "mother!" poster
- Trump taps Callista Gingrich to be ambassador to the Vatican
- Sega Announces Plans To Revive Major IPs
- Russia, Saudi call for oil output deal extension
- Cavs to wear Goodyear logo on jerseys next season
- Aaron Hernandez Fiancée Says She Doubts He Killed Himself
- USA may ban laptops in passenger cabins on all flights from Europe