A man faces capital murder charges in the killing of three people, including a sheriff's deputy, and after holding a woman hostage during a five-hour standoff with police in rural western Arkansas.
The ASP said Friday the suspect was James Arthur Bowden and not James Michael Bowden, 32, as originally stated Thursday during a press conference.
Mainhart was responding to a call about a disturbance at a house near Dardanelle, about 65 miles west of Little Rock, when he saw a vehicle linked to that address and stopped it.
Authorities have not identified those people, whose bodies were found in the yard, or the woman who was held hostage.
The woman who was in the residence was not named and she was not wounded, police said.
Region 8 law enforcement agencies were among many who showed support to the Yell County Sheriff's Office after a deputy was killed.
Lieutenant Kevin Mainhart, 46, was shot and killed while conducting a traffic stop a little after 7 a.m., said Bill Sadler, Arkansas State Police public information officer.
Arkansas State Police say three people were shot in the area on Thursday morning.
Shortly before 10 AM today Yell County Deputies and Arkansas State Police identified a location where a suspect was believed to be located. Investigators are now questioning her. During the traffic stop, the deputy was shot and later died from his injuries.
Family has confirmed the identities of two females killed in Thursday's triple-homicide that also left a local deputy dead. The idenities of the two civilians found dead and the suspect have not been released.
After the suspect was arrested, he was taken to a hospital and is expected to be transported to the Conway County jail, authorities said.
"He was a leader not only within the department, but the community of Yell County as well".
Mainhart severed 4 years in the United States Air Force as a Security Forces Officer. Police escorted the body of Lt Kevin Mainhart to the state crime lab in Little Rock for an autopsy.
- India's 2016-17 factory output rises 5 per cent as manufacturing expands
- Nigeria negotiating with Boko Haram for more Chibok releases
- Emma Watson praises gender-neutral MTV Award after winning Best Actor
- Relentless Nadal sets up Djokovic semi-final
- Pakistan PM travels to China to attend Belt and Road Forum
- New Zealand to face South Africa in 2019 Rugby World Cup pool
- Leaked NSA Hacking Tools Enabled Global Cyber Attack
- Saracens retain European title as Ashton sets try landmark
- Trump Insists No Evidence of Collusion With Russia
- Nearly all systems have been recovered, says Home Secretary — NHS cyberattack