United States electric vehicle maker Tesla has started selling solar roof tiles as the company keeps an "eye to the future".
Tesla acquired SolarCity in November, and has been working to remake a money-losing company that was selling traditional solar systems into a premium energy brand. Thus they enable homeowners to harness energy from the sun all day without having to install any additional panels. In the wee small hours of this morning, Elon Musk said that Tesla will be opening up pre-orders for its solar roof this afternoon. However, there has been a slight delay.
It said that a US$1,000 refundable deposit is required to place an order, and the group will offer financing options for USA solar roof installation by the end of the year.
With a little month behind, Tesla has just announced that the pre-orders of its famous solar tiles are open.
Tesla is finally ready to start taking preorders for its solar roof tiles, but only two models will be available at first. Strategically, the solar roofs are created to work alongside Tesla's powerwall and battery packs for a more convenient and efficient use of solar energy. At the time of the announcement, Musk claimed a Solar Roof would have a similar cost to a standard roof "plus electricity". Meanwhile, any excess power generated can be stored in Tesla's Powerwall 2.0 battery units, giving a backup energy source to cover demand spikes.
Notably, Tesla says that a Solar Roof will be cheaper than a traditional non-solar roof. "We really need to make solar panels as appealing as electric cars have become".
The company offers a warranty for "infinity, or the lifetime of your house, whichever comes first".
Tesla said it expects the product to be popular in locations beyond where its SolarCity subsidiary now operates, and plans to expand installation crews accordingly. If someone wants to have an entire roof of Tesla solar panels that would definitely cost a lot. The solar tiles contain photovoltaic cells that are invisible from the street.
"When you have this installed on your house you will have the best-looking roof in the neighborhood", Musk said, according to USA Today.
Tesla is now accepting online preorders for the available variants of the Solar Roof tiles, with the slate and Tuscan options becoming available later this year.
- Log in, look out: Cyber chaos spreads with workweek's start
- Duke Realty Corp (DRE) Shares Bought by DnB Asset Management AS
- Prez Trump accused of leaking intel to Russian Federation
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle get the nod for Westminster Abbey wedding
- Why Chelsea boss Antonio Conte has been better than Pep Guardiola - Hasselbaink
- Trump gave Russian Federation intel from Jordan, not Israel - Al-Jazeera
- Maria Sharapova through to second round in Rome
- Facebook fined by France over failure to protect users' data
- Georgia prepares to carry out its first execution this year
- Bot-generated comments swamp FCC, urging overturn of net neutrality