Not to be outdone by the likes of Yahoo (who they are in the process of acquiring), Twitter, and Amazon, Verizon Co. has made a decision to get in on the action, dropping $21 million for the exclusive rights to stream the Week Three matchup in London between the Baltimore Ravens and Jacksonville Jaguars.
The game, a week three matchup between the Baltimore Ravens and Jacksonville Jaguars to be played in London on September 24, will be distributed on Verizon's AOL platform, its mobile video service go90, and Complex, a young male-focused site it co-owns with Hearst Corp.
Although terms of the deal have yet to be disclosed, sources familiar with the situation told the Journal that Verizon paid $21 million for the transaction. In 2015, the Jaguars-Buffalo Bills game was streamed globally on Yahoo and that game had an average audience of 2.36 million viewers.
Amazon reportedly paid $50 million for ten Thursday Night Football games.
Well, that has become reality as Verizon will join Amazon as an official National Football League streaming partner in 2017.
As for everyone else, the game will be offered through over-the-air broadcast - but only in the Baltimore and Jacksonville local markets. It may also stream on Yahoo if its acquisition of the company closes in time. The Thursday games are not exclusive for Amazon and will also be available on television on CBS or NBC, as well as on the NFL Network. "What we want to continue to learn is who is consuming the live games". The week-three matchup will take place at Wembley Stadium in London, between the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Baltimore Ravens.
The NFL announced the deal in a statement this week.
- The Eagles Sue Hotel California in Mexico
- Sainsbury's sees profits fall as it cautions over challenging trading
- Britain set for snap election in Brexit shadow
- 'Natasha, Pierre' leads Tony Award nods
- Trump says he could meet with North Korea's leader
- US aims to eliminate IS from Afghanistan this year
- French presidential race enters final week with May Day rallies
- Jordan Edwards shooting: Roy Oliver fired after fatally shooting unarmed teen
- Bill O'Reilly's Fox News Ousting Draws Polarized Response on Twitter
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui's TRANSFORMATION in the new 'MOM' poster is UNBELIEVABLE!