The New York Yankees' bullpen suffered a blow Sunday when closer Aroldis Chapman was placed on the 10-day disabled list with inflammation in his rotator cuff.
The Yankees announced the move Sunday before the first game of a day-night doubleheader against the Houston Astros.
The New York Yankees will be without their closer for at least a few weeks.
"I saw that too", Girardi said of Chapman shaking his arm.
"I was shocked", Girardi said. Chapman left without speaking to reporters.
The Yankees first acquired Chapman in the offseason before the 2016 season by taking advantage of the Reds' desperation to trade him because of a domestic violence incident that hung over his head and his large salary. You just never know with shoulder injuries.
Chapman's average fastball velocity has dropped from a major league-high 100.9 miles per hour past year to 98.2 miles per hour this season, according to MLB's Statcast.
Chapman is 0-1 with seven saves and a 3.55 ERA in 14 games this season.
"You're probably looking at a minimum of a month if everything goes right", Cashman said.
The Yankees plan to go with Dellin Betances as the team's closer while Chapman is out.
He showed a sign of a possible problem on April 26, when he needed 33 pitches to get through the ninth inning at Boston.
In his previous outing, the lefty surrendered three runs in two-thirds of an inning against the Cubs, blowing his first save opportunity of the season. Chapman was checked by a trainer after allowing a two-out, run-scoring single to Josh Reddick.
Chapman re-signed with the Yankees last December on a five-year, $86-million deal that is a record for a closer and was very good until the last week while he struggled in consecutive appearances.
Chapman later criticized the heavy workload Cubs manager Joe Maddon had given him during the postseason.
- Democracy is under assault by Trump, former intelligence chief says
- North Korea launches missile; launch being assessed
- Rapper Travis Scott arrested in northwest Arkansas
- Astros-Yankees game postponed; doubleheader on Sunday
- Murray stunned but Djokovic makes last 8
- Barcelona facing injury crisis ahead of trip to Las Palmas
- Dominica Test: Windies crawl to 218-5 at stumps against Pakistan
- Boston Celtics vs. Washington Wizards - 5/15/17 NBA Pick, Odds, and Prediction
- Sean Spicer hides in bushes after Comey firing
- Jordan, Israel in rare row over Jerusalem stabbing, killing