Over the weekend, Los Angeles County firefighters battled a fast-growing brush fire near Castaic Lake named the Lake Fire.
Almost 400 firefighters from the U.S. Forest Service and the Los Angeles County Fire Department were working to douse the flames, which broke out for unknown reasons about 2 p.m. Saturday near the Golden State (5) Freeway and Ridge Route Road.
Originally officials say it scorched 1,000 acres, but Sunday night crews have scaled that estimate back.
Angeles National Forest spokesman Nathan Judy says crews were able to clear brush surrounding the fire to stop its spread and that it appeared they had a handle on it.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Three water-dropping helicopters and an unknown number of fixed-wing aircraft were working to help contain the blaze, Singleton said.
As of 9 p.m., the fire was 10 percent contained.
No structures are now threatened, he said, although two outhouses were lost in the brush fire.
"There are hotspots burning", Licon said early Sunday.
At 5:30 p.m. Saturday, officials were reporting "zero containment at which point, the air assault intensified".
In Palmdale, a 32-year-old heat record was broken on Sunday when temperatures climbed to 108 degrees.
The fire was reported shortly after 2:00 p.m. "Later in the afternoon. there was some pretty heavy columns of smoke that burned, that was heavier, thicker brush". "The fatigue of our firefighters is a big deal because they're hiking into that steeper terrain".
Tall grass surrounding the lake had fueled the flames Saturday, contributing to its rapid expansion.
- South Africa's Morris has no qualms over freaky Roy exit
- Sanchez breaks Chile goal record vs. Germany
- Prosecutors would swap prison for fine in Messi tax fraud case
- Jeremy Corbyn gets rock star welcome at Glastonbury Festival
- Antonio Conte agrees new contract worth 9.5 Million pounds
- Oracle skipper Spithill tough on, off water in America's Cup
- Blac Chyna rear-ended in white Rolls
- Ivanka Trump ordered to testify in dispute with shoe company
- Police officer beaten to death in Indian-controlled Kashmir
- New Hampshire among states with GOP redistricting advantage