Feliciano Lopez of Spain advanced to the semifinals of the Mercedes Cup in Stuttgart, Germany, by upsetting third-seeded Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic 6-7 (4), 6-3, 6-4 on Friday.
Zverev double faulted on match point to end it.
Lopez has not featured in a final since losing to Ivo Karlovic in the Los Cabos Open in Mexico in August 2016, and won his last tournament at the Swiss Open the previous month.
The experienced Lopez had earlier edged out German Mischa Zverev in the first semi-final, 6-7 (2/7), 7-6 (7/4), 7-5.
"I think my serve was working quite well in some important points, and that was probably something very important in today's match", Lopez said.
It was a disappointing day for the Zverev family as Mischa's younger brother Alexander lost out in straight sets to Gilles Muller in the semi-finals of the Ricoh Open in s-Hertogenbosch.
The 39-year-old Haas, who defeated Roger Federer in the second round on Wednesday, was playing for the last time at the grass-court tournament, and he was accompanied by his six-year-old daughter Valentina at the post-match news conference, where she sat on his lap.
Ultimately, it was the first set which proved decisive and ended in a tie-break after all 12 games went with serve.
- Stock Seesawing Amidst Rampant Activity: Finisar Corporation (NASDAQ:FNSR)
- Trump Ultra Corey Stewart Throws a Scare Into Conventional Republicans Everywhere
- Why Netflix Decided to Back Net Neutrality After All
- Mining company BHP chooses former Amcor chief executive to be chairman
- How locals are spending Father's Day
- Bill Cosby's Wife Camille Releases Statement Thanking Jury
- Anniversary of the death of Jo Cox MP
- Odd Market Reaction to Hawkish Fed Has Two Explanations
- Southern Baptists re-elect chief, adopt moral leadership measure
- Officials Urge to Stay Cool as Heat Wave Envelops SoCal