Williams also says the event continues to grow every year and they hope Juneteenth will move to an even bigger venue in the coming years.
Melania and I send our warmest greetings to all those celebrating Juneteenth, a historic day recognizing the end of slavery.
This year, like previous years, the celebrations were meant to highlight black community leaders and people uplifting the black community.
After a business luncheon in February, the newly-formed network began planning a celebration of Juneteenth, which commemorates the emancipation of slaves in Texas on June 19, 1865.
Granger's astonishing words inspired soulful festivities and emotional rejoicing.
Lee and her supporters walked in more than 20 states in her first campaign to talk to President Obama previous year.
Khadijah White-Weston, Miss Juneteenth 2017, said she is planning to be a first-generation college student at Clark Atlanta University, which is a historically black college. "The festival is not just something that you come out for the trinkets you can buy".
Right, and then it became the party of Ronald Reagan, "Welfare Queens", and Jesse Helms, who switched parties when Republicans picked up racism in the draft. "This is such a critical event that takes place, it's about the African-American heritage, our culture". This happened two and a half years after President Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation which had little impact in Texas due to a lack of enforcement. "We're going to have a lot of fun today".
"It's an important celebration for African Americans all over the country", said Ursula Davis, a professor at Bergen Community College, as a band played in the background. "But it's also a really peaceful atmosphere with people who want to come together and feel loved".
Attendees say it's history that brings them there and keeps them coming back year after year.
- Gal Gadot shows the real meaning of 'Wonder Woman'
- Sinn Fein cautious on DUP, May tie-up but would welcome funding
- Relay for Life raises over $20000 to support American Cancer Society
- Trump supporters turn on special counsel Mueller
- Wind howling as final round at Erin Hills gets under way
- IBM's 5nm nanosheet chips could revolutionize the IoT market
- Suspect in 5 slayings arrested after standoff in Brunswick
- Congressman's condition 'more difficult' than first thought
- Deputy AG Rosenstein set for budget hearing Tuesday
- Can Donald Trump fire Robert Mueller? - KBZK.com | Continuous News | Bozeman, Montana