For the Pacers, it's an unfortunate bit of news that suddenly changes their summer plans drastically.
George will be 28 years old after next season.
The pressure is now put on IN if they hope to receive something IN return for George by possibly trading him before free agency begins IN 2018.
For the Lakers, the reaction was very different.
The Lakers would still have around $5.5 million and their room mid-level exception to sign free agents. Knowing the star plans to leave one year from now, the Pacers will nearly be forced to move him. This speculation is believed to have rooted from the fact that he wants a homecoming to Southern California and to play with the purple and gold team.
Although George would constitute a significant acquisition for Los Angeles, the rebuilding Lakers do not now intend to part with any of their young assets in a trade with the Pacers, sources told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne.
George, a four-time All-Star, had a strong season in 2016-17, averaging 23.7 points, 6.6 rebounds and 3.3 assists and led the Pacers to the playoffs.
So, acquiring George probably would be a one-year rental - depending on when/if the Cavs trade for him - but if James is bolting Cleveland in 2018 then it doesn't really matter. Despite battling two Cavaliers most of the time, George still scored 29, 32, 36 and 15 points in the four games. Unfortunately for them, the All-Star player reportedly showed no interest, as he does not see himself wearing other jerseys except for his current team.
- Sinn Fein cautious on DUP, May tie-up but would welcome funding
- United States shoots down Syrian Air Force fighter
- Baby Foods Contain More Lead than Regular Foods
- Gal Gadot shows the real meaning of 'Wonder Woman'
- Samsung to launch English version of Bixby voice assistant
- Trump cheerleaders turn on special counsel Mueller
- Trump supporters turn on special counsel Mueller
- Wind howling as final round at Erin Hills gets under way
- Ward celebrates big win while Kovalev plans protest
- Newtown parent won't view NBC interview of Alex Jones