The Coyotes have agreed to shoulder 25 percent of Smith's total cost - which is $3 million more than Elliott worked for past year - dropping his cap hit to a manageable $4.25 million, but that's still more than Calgary's tandem from a season ago.
It's been mediocrity since for both the Flames and Smith, whose difficulties became entwined with Calgary's curious decision in goal.
The Arizona Coyotes traded longtime starting goaltender Mike Smith to the Calgary Flames on Saturday for a conditional 2018 third-round pick, defensive prospect Brandon Hickey and the rights to unrestricted free agent goalie Chad Johnson. Hickey was Calgary's third-round pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. From a fantasy perspective, Smith could get a sizable boost in value since he's moving from the 27th ranked team in shorthanded situations to one that sat 12th with a stave-off rate of 81.6 percent. The Flames were swept in the first round of the post-season by Anaheim. Those totals aren't the worst, but they also aren't indicative of a premier starting goaltender in the National Hockey League, especially coming off of a season where he went 23-8-6 with a 2.07 goals against average and a.930 save percentage in St. Louis just one year prior. Similar totals to what Elliott posted, but Johnson did so while designated as a backup. Smith is considerably more expensive than Elliott. Smith started 32 of those contests and went 15-19, tallying a save percentage of 90.1 percent and a goals against average of 2.59. Smith had been with the Coyotes for the past six seasons and helped them reach the 2012 Western Conference final.
For the Coyotes, the addition of Johnson to the deal was a necessity as they would have been left with only Louis Domingue as a potential goalie to expose.
- Aulas ready to reject Arsenal approach
- Markets Right Now: Grocer stocks plunge on Whole Foods deal
- Many Cuban exiles embrace Trump policy but want more
- Why Netflix Decided to Back Net Neutrality After All
- Artemis Racing reaches America's Cup challenger finals
- Trump Ultra Corey Stewart Throws a Scare Into Conventional Republicans Everywhere
- How locals are spending Father's Day
- Atari CEO Confirms New Game Console
- Monaco's Kylian Mbappe to 'sort through' transfer options over summer
- Bill Cosby's Wife Camille Releases Statement Thanking Jury