In the Coachella Valley, highs are predicted to be 109 to 114 degrees today, 112 to 117 degrees Sunday, 114 to 119 degrees Monday, 117 to 122 degrees Tuesday and 115 to 120 degrees Wednesday. Recent days have seen the thermometer top out in the 90s with heat indexes rising above 100 degrees. Sadly, in homes in areas with high crime rates, some of the people found dead in their homes from the heat had nailed their windows shut to protect themselves and their property. Heat stress possible for livestock with limited relief from the heat overnight.
The National Weather Service has issued an excessive heat warning that is in effect until Thursday and temperatures are expected to be almost 120 degrees. That advisory will take effect 11 a.m. Monday and run until 9 p.m. Wednesday, with the weather service predicting high temperatures in those inland valley cities of 95 to 101 degrees on Monday and 96 to 103 degrees Tuesday and Wednesday.
"When temperatures are high, even a few hours of exertion may cause severe dehydration, heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke", said Jeffrey Gunzenhauser, interim health officer of LA County.
Hirsh said temperatures are normally around 104 and 106 this time of year.
The hot conditions are labeled as a classic pre-monsoon heat event for the Southwest region, NWS said.
Temperatures, especially across Riverside County, could potentially hit the 120-degree mark, mainly in the deserts.
The hot weather will increase the risk of heat-related illness and anyone working or spending time outdoors would be more susceptible, as will senior citizens, children and those unaccustomed to the heat.
High temperatures in Solano County are expected to increase west to east as the influence of the San Francisco Bay's weather pattern gives way to the Sacramento Valley's influence. In California, the heat will only ease just short of the coast.
- Markets Right Now: Grocer stocks plunge on Whole Foods deal
- Why Netflix Decided to Back Net Neutrality After All
- Many Cuban exiles embrace Trump policy but want more
- Trump Ultra Corey Stewart Throws a Scare Into Conventional Republicans Everywhere
- History as spaniard takes his 10th title
- Monaco's Kylian Mbappe to 'sort through' transfer options over summer
- Junket tourism
- Artemis Racing reaches America's Cup challenger finals
- Stock Seesawing Amidst Rampant Activity: Finisar Corporation (NASDAQ:FNSR)
- Mining company BHP chooses former Amcor chief executive to be chairman