"I don't understand why we covered that gaggle today, quite honestly", he added.
Acosta accused the White House of not wanting the American people to see and hear their answers to questions, "When we're asking important questions about where are the tapes, does the president have recordings of his conversations here at the White House?"
Spicer was asked about the prohibition on cameras and audio during the briefing, suggesting that the reason was to ensure that Trump was given the spotlight.
Spicer has been a frequent source of criticism for his performance at the White House lectern during daily news briefings, although President Donald Trump has stood by him through a variety of controversies.
Among the harshest critics of Monday's decision were CNN anchors Wolf Blitzer, who told viewers "normally we'd be airing the White House press briefing. but unfortunately we're not allowed to show it to you live", and Jim Acosta, who tweeted a photo of his socks in lieu of a picture of Spicer during the gaggle.
"I don't know why everybody is going along with this".
More and more of Spicer's briefings have been off-camera in recent weeks, including Monday's.
"We should walk out", he responded.
Unlike during this briefing, no video was permitted on Monday. Now it appears no recordings of the White House's uselessness will be allowed at all.
"That is the only conclusion one could draw", Acosta said. "If they can't give us the answers to the questions on camera or where we can record the audio, they're basically pointless". "It's not even like we're covering a White House anymore, with Kellyanne Conway and Omarosa in the briefing room off to the side of Sean, refusing to be on camera".
"I don't know why everybody is going along with this", he added, speaking of his fellow White House journalists.
- Deadline for filing first GST returns relaxed
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Jared Kushner heads to Jerusalem and Ramallah to talk peace
- Australian man escapes Kerobokan: Bali police
- US Senate approves new sanctions on Russia, Iran
- Junket tourism
- Kim Kardashian West thanks 'good dad' Kanye West
- After UK Election, The Only 'Certainty' In Britain Is Uncertainty
- Australian Shaun Davidson in Kerobokan prison breakout
- Two areas to watch for tropical development