UPDATE (12:40 p.m.) - News 5 affiliate, WZDX, is reporting that the gates to Redstone Arsenal are once again open after the lockdown was issued Tuesday morning.
HUNTSVILLE -While very few details are known about a current possible active shooter at Redstone Arsenal, it is known that the facility was mentioned during a press conference last week to announce the arrest of Aziz Sayyed, 22, of Huntsville.
Christopher Colster, a spokesman for Redstone Arsenal in Hunstville, said Tuesday that officials do not believe there is an ongoing threat.
A photo taken from the Sparkman Center at the Redstone Arsenal Army base Tuesday June 27,2017 shows people evacuating the area.
Redstone said in a statement, "The installation was in lock-down mode with all gates closed, and employees sheltered in place at their respective buildings". Police cars with flashing lights blocked entrances to Redstone and no traffic was moving on or off of the installation, which also has facilities used by federal law enforcement agencies.
'My office is aware of the developing situation at Redstone Arsenal, and we are monitoring it closely. I am praying for a swift resolution to this matter'.
At first much of the sprawling military base was locked down.
"The important thing is everybody's safe", Ivey said.
An Army email sent to facility personnel and relatives shortly after 10 a.m. Tuesday said an active shooter was reported on Building 5301's second floor.
An active shooter drill was planned for tomorrow, but authorities are reporting that this is not part of the drill.
'The objective of this exercise is to enhance the workforce's ability to respond to a real active shooter event.
The Redstone Arsenal is military installation in northern Alabama.
- Gainesville Uber Driver Diverts Ride, Gropes Woman
- How to Install the iOS 11 Public Beta (If You Dare)
- International Monetary Fund cuts U.S. growth forecasts, cites Trump fiscal plan uncertainty
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi Addresses Indian Community In Netherlands
- The Londonmetric Property PLC (LMP) Price Target Raised to GBX 180
- Greens and NDP combine to vote down BC Liberal political finance bill
- Kremlin slams US warning of Syria attack
- Stephen Colbert Says Russian Intelligence Followed Him All Over Russia
- Iran fires missiles at militant groups in eastern Syria
- Trump organization ends management of Toronto tower