"I don't know." He said he could "go along with Russian Federation", but that it also, "Could've been China, could've been a lot of groups".
He joked that when asked about why no recording was allowed, there was a response of silence from Spicer because "Nothing was recorded in there, we don't know" what was said.
Politico also reported Monday that David Martosko, U.S. political editor of DailyMail.com, interviewed for the communications director job. "I don't think a lot of people turn the president down on anything he asks them to do".
"I have not sat down and talked to him about that specific thing".
When bringing up the possibility that Spicey could be moving on from his role, Colbert joked: "Sean, I have so many questions". "We've been meeting with potential people".
Discussions about overhauling the White House communications office have been ongoing for several weeks, according to the senior administration official.
"Look, it's no secret we've had a couple vacancies, including our communications director, he's been gone for a while", he said.
Spicer was the first one to face the music in lieu of White House's strategies that were unfocused most of the time.
Mr Spicer's remarks on Tuesday came amid speculation that he is looking for his own replacement at the briefing room podium, which could be part of a larger plan to shake up the White House communications staff. Spicer has certainly made a name for himself during his short tenure as press secretary and, if he is indeed replaced, press briefings will likely certainly take on a markedly different tone and character. "But there is no massive White House shake-up coming, it's not going to happen", he insisted.
Trump threatened in May to shut down daily press briefings and told Fox News Channel at the time that Spicer was 'doing a good job, but he gets beat up'.
That Spicer has become an object of ridicule for "Saturday Night Live" and the late-night shows has not been lost on the right.
- Iran fires missiles at militant groups in eastern Syria
- Trump organization ends management of Toronto tower
- Gainesville Uber Driver Diverts Ride, Gropes Woman
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Possible active shooter causes lockdown at Army post outside Huntsville, Alabama
- Californians Now Have the Right to Die. 111 Used It
- One Plus 5 Sale today at Amazon, Check full Specifications and more
- Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin Weds Louise Linton
- Kvitova wins Aegon Classic final for 1st title since attack
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Cast Are Sending Thank You Messages to Fans